AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous Hand Rail

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tpham2001
1009 Views, 6 Replies

Continuous Hand Rail

Hi All,

I've successfully done this before and now for the life of me I can NOT.

I have a platform follow by a stairs case and a platform; previously, I drew PL at center of beam and created a line string to which my HR to follow.

I executed the HR command, selected S (startpoint) -> selected Supports Profiles and there you have it. The HR dialog box appears and you go about your business configuring you HR.

Yesterday is the same as above but I CANNOT create a PL string. I can create a PL horizontally but when I get to the stairs case, I can not continue at an angle. I turned Othro on/off and nothing.

I can draw PL string in space anyway I want, but not on the centerline of my beams... Thoughts?

I tried drawing lines instead of PL method.

I execute the HR command, seleted S (starting Point) and then selected my supporting profiles, enter and now I have this error message...

Command: rbct_mmacro Library name: StrRailing Class name: StrRailingCreate
Command: Pick polyline or [Startpoint]:s
Command: Specify first point:
Command: Specify next point:
Command:
Command: Pick supporting profiles:
Command:
Command: Polyline cannot be used because one of the segments is vertical

What kind of Black magic is this?

Thanks in advance,

Tee

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JannieHunter
in reply to: tpham2001

What I have found in this is that ASD doesnt want to continously create a handrail along stairs and platform.

Thats when it gives the "vertical" error.

Make sure all points are on the same plane

Regards

Jannie Hunter
Modena Design Centres
South Africa
011 463 1553
Message 3 of 7
tpham2001
in reply to: JannieHunter

Good Morning Jannie,

Thank-you for the response. I still find this very upsetting after all these months. I since gave up on the idea of having a continuous HR. During the project, I asked my contractor to field mod the HR as required. What's burning me on the inside is the tutorial vid CLEARLY demo how it's done; but in reality, we can't. This IMHO, is fault advert.
Message 4 of 7
JannieHunter
in reply to: tpham2001

Would you be able to share the link to that vid so i can have a look. 

Am looking into a work around for that makro. I find the railing tool to be extremely glitchy...

Regards

Jannie Hunter
Modena Design Centres
South Africa
011 463 1553
Message 5 of 7
Jianna

I stopped using the railing tool and I make my handrails manually. Luckily most of my handrails are in mechanical buildings and aren't super complicated. It is a bit of a pain to create them manually, but it gives me exactly what I want.

Message 6 of 7
JannieHunter
in reply to: Jianna

I logged a call with Autodesk regarding the makro. It keeps giving me errors or hanging my system...

I would use the tool only to create one piece of handrail and then copy and modify to complete it.

It is a big issue but lets hope 2015 is better and they incorporate AdvanceSteel functionality

There is also a issue with the South African steel profile database. The flat bar profiles are rotated by 90degrees so i load in the European database for the flat bars

Luckily the miter and radius tools works great to create continuous handrails but still testing it

Jannie Hunter
Modena Design Centres
South Africa
011 463 1553
Message 7 of 7
tpham2001

Hi Jannie,
Apology for the late response. here is the link requested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5_ESgf1wQc

This is at the beginning of the demo.
I must have watched this demo a 100 times and 100 times tried and failed to create the objective.

Like you, I hope for the best, but prepared for the worst.

T

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips