AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASD vs Revit Structure

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
soumen.r
4814 Views, 4 Replies

ASD vs Revit Structure

We are doing steel structural detailing. Now we are planning to move into 3D platform. We are now using AutoCAD Mechanical & plain AutoCAD for our drawings. We are not in manufacturing industry. We do not use Inventor. But we are confused between Revit Structure & AutoCAD Structural Detailing. Which software between that two, will be better for us? Why?

SRoy
Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Priitl220
in reply to: soumen.r

ASD for shopdrawings. More automation. Faster.

Revit is good for design (choosing the span, grid spacing etc) and seeing the whole picture (more tha just steel) and collaborating with others (MEP and etc).

I start with Revit and end up in ASD.

lucis29
in reply to: Priitl220

I agree 100% to what Priitl said.

Also ASD is part of the Revit Suite, so you can't buy them individualy. There is no real choice between Revit and ASD because they do (for now at least) different things.

Revit can detail as good as ASD (not yet) and ASD is harder to manipulate, slower and buggier.

Regards.

Message 4 of 5
Tony_Gibbs
in reply to: soumen.r

I agree with the others. ASD leaves a lot to be desired as all users know. I have heard that ASD will be incorporated into revit at some stage, and thats probably why Autodesk has made almost no improvements on this product in the last 2 years.

I find it easier to build the model in ASD and then detail it in there as well, besides Revit doesnt detail structural steel

Lets hope Autodesk gives their loyal ASD users a fair go with the release of 2014.

Tony

Message 5 of 5
markhubrich
in reply to: Tony_Gibbs

How did that work out for ya? I was a loyal ASD user too. Did you have to buy AdvanceSteel? The nerve of some companies. Removing the program from the suite, then try to sell it back to you as a different one. I feel like I've been burglarized and the criminals are trying to sell me my stuff back. WTF??
...and fix the kiss export issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips