AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages to using ASD

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
JohnHolder
808 Views, 8 Replies

Advantages to using ASD

Hello all,

For those who use ASD, could you give me a quick blurb on the advantages to using ASD?  I have tried a couple times, albeit short, to use the software and just ended up a bit frustrated and just used autocad instead.

so why use this over autocad ( I'm using P3D premium suite )

John.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

For me, is a hard-to-use program. This soft dont have  the flexibility that requires steel industry today.

You can see in many messages ASD is a shadow of first class programns like Tekla, Strucad, Advance steel, Prosteel.

You know I dont know why "detailing" word is used to designate a quality. Maybe it must be called ASB, B for basic.

Message 3 of 9
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: jorgeluisgdeaca

The word 'detailing' is used, as this is a program for detailing steelwork.

It has nothing to do with quality.

(ASD is an almost exact copy of Prosteel)

Ok its an early release, so there are some bugs to sort out. But your frustrations sound like a lak of proper training rather than inadequacies in the software.

Try a training session. Your VAR should be able to help you tailior training your companies specific needs.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 4 of 9
FProcp
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

@richos69 wrote:

(ASD is an almost exact copy of Prosteel)

Ok its an early release, so there are some bugs to sort out.

So how long will it be before ASD is as stable as Prosteel so it can be used in replacement for that other software? (Not that PS doesn't have bugs)

I wouldn't design anything structural in ASD. I think it would be more efficient to design in Revit Structure, export to ASD and then create automatic shop detail drawings for fabrication.

Franco
GMT +08:00
Message 5 of 9
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: FProcp

@FProcp wrote:

I wouldn't design anything structural in ASD. I think it would be more efficient to design in Revit Structure, export to ASD and then create automatic shop detail drawings for fabrication.

Correct

You have inadvertantly quoted the best work process for designing and detailing steel

CAD Management 101:
Message 6 of 9
jorgeluisgdeaca

I´m sorry, this is just one option into designing and detailing and this choice depends of you.

More options: Robot+Tekla, RAM+Tekla, Ram+Prosteel.

Message 7 of 9
Rich.O.3d

you could also use a drawing board

however this is an AUTODESK site, discussing autodesk things!

if you like Tekla so much...try going here https://extranet.tekla.com/FORUM/default.aspx?g=login&ReturnUrl=/forum/Default.aspx

CAD Management 101:
Message 8 of 9
jorgeluisgdeaca

Exactly, senior detailer and drafters and engineers using drawing tables in my company, so?

For high complexity structures using Tekla here, for moderate complexity using Revit....

Now back to my, if i need to design and detail steel buildings or markets I use MBS or Project that is the best option for -all in one- pre-engineered PEB structures also I use ASD or Revit just to add details, Tekla for some things. Tapered or W profiles isn´t too developed  in Autodesk programs as other companies which offer that and this is that I use almost always.

I repeat, depends.

Best regards.

Message 9 of 9
Rich.O.3d

i also integrate MANY differnent packages to produce full process plant and mine site designs

I dont go to a Tekla forum and start banging on about how much better autodesk is, i dont go to dassualt systems forums and bang on about solidworks, i dont go to a proE forum and bang on about revit etc etc

ask your ASD related questions here

there are other forums for spouting about which software package you prefer to use

CAD Management 101:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips