Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raster design error unable to save

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
tggray
4179 Views, 16 Replies

raster design error unable to save

After making a few changes to the image using raster design. When I try to save it I get a message that reads: Autocad Raster Design was unable to save your file to the name you required. Your data has been saved to the temporary file c:\Drawing work directory\AEC190.tmp.

I tried renaming it but it didn't help.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
mahahaavaahava
in reply to: tggray

Hi,

what version of RD are you using? Some formats RD can read but not write, have you tried saving to a different format using saveas? Can you write to the directory where you opened the file and are you sure it's not write-protected?

/Petri
Message 3 of 17
tggray

2010 Raster Design on Autocad Mechanical 2010
If I change the name everytime, then it is fine.
Yes, I am saving it on my own c:drive which is read/write
Yes, I am sure it is not write protected or full

Thanks for your help
Message 4 of 17
gathengarcia

I just came across this thread as we are having the same problem with Raster Design 2010. That is we are unable to save back to the original tiff file after changes are made using the TOUCHUP tools with in Raster Design 2010. The ERROR message reads Autocad Raster Design was unable to save your file to the name you required. Your data has been saved to the temporary file. If we avoid the TOUCHUP tools we are able to save back to the original tiff file. Is anyone else experiencing this same problem??

Thanks in advance....Gathen
Message 5 of 17
baxter-45

I had the same problem with saving a Tif in RD 2010. After inserting the tif file and before making any changes to the tif file I go to the IMAGE menu and with the frame toggled on I use IMAGE EMBED. I make all by changes to the tif while it's embedded. When I'm finished I use SAVE-AS from the IMAGE menu and save it using the file name of my choice. This works most of the time.
I hope this works for you....

baxter45
Message 6 of 17
kossios

I was just about to post this exact same problem and noticed it was the first on the list. I have to use the save as command and insert the same file name to overwrite the exisitng file every time. This problem has only creeped up in the past two months. Previously, it worked fine. Autodesk needs to investigate this one since there seems to be a great number of us experiencing it all of a sudden. Most annoying though.
Message 7 of 17
kossios

Update:
I wrote tech support yesterday and this was their response:

Our Product Development team is aware of this defect and is working on a fix.

At this time, we do not have any specific information about exactly when the fix will be released. I have, however, linked this Support Request to the entry for this defect in our defect-tracking system, so you will be notified by e-mail when the fix is released.

In the meantime, you might consider using an earlier version of AutoCAD Raster Design (running on a matching earlier version of AutoCAD or your AutoCAD-based application) instead of the 2010 version. Otherwise, using the Save As command in Raster Design (or ISAVEAS on the command line) is really the only workaround for the 2010 version, until the fix comes out.
Message 8 of 17
cpanas

Just in time to catch this thread, recent computer hard drive upgrade, and my IT installs Version 10, with raster 10. I get the cant find file error message with instructions to reinstall, I do the reinstall, and then I do the uninstall, and reinstall, get a working ACAD Drawing with Raster Design on top of Civil 3d, insert a sid pic into the drawing, and quick save is poping up the error message,

"One or more objects in this drawing cannot be saved to the specified format. The operation was not completed and no file was created."

It seems that you all are chatting up a similar theme, but using the file save as command I get the same error message.

Next thing I do is try to save the SID pic to a diferent file format, (JPEG) and I get a FATAL ERROR OUT OF MEMORY error message.

Thought I would browse the buzz here at the forums, but am not sure I am on the same page you all are chatting about. The post of the Autodesk people saying "we will get back to you on that"(paraphrase), is not comforting at all.
Message 9 of 17
kossios

This is the latest message I received from Autodesk regarding this issue:

Our product development team has been accelerating its work on this particular product defect ("bug") in the last few days.

Although there is still no official word on the timing of a fix, it has emerged that the code that needs to be changed to prevent this error is actually in the underlying AutoCAD application, not in Raster Design itself.

Therefore, the fix (once it comes out) most likely will be in the form of free service packs for AutoCAD and the various AutoCAD-based applications, rather than an update to Raster Design.
Message 10 of 17
svend007

I've had this problem with the 2009 version as well and it seemed to be related to the files (mysteriously) having read only attributes when checking them in 'explorer'. I should also add that I am using Vault as well.
PeteB.
Message 11 of 17
msorensen

I also just started having this error.  Before today everything was fine, well, I was able to save images after editing them.  At least there is a work around. 

Melody

Oh, and on top of this, today I am crashing like crazy.

Message 12 of 17
msorensen
in reply to: msorensen

Well, I justed edited my .tif file and did the Save-As.  RD saved my scan.  Unfortunately the file size is larger than the original file Smiley Mad  Not what I was looking for or expecting to get.  At least it looks a lot better.

Message 13 of 17
lmcnulty

We installed AutoCAD 2011 and Raster Design 2011 on a Windows 7 (64) desktop.  We opened an AutoCAD drawing file, inserted an image file.  Used the raster design remove command to remove a part of the image.  Saved the image and drawing file and the typical error popped up telling us the image cannot be saved with the existin name and must be saved as a tmp name.

New AutoCAD, new Raster design.  What is the issue?  When will it be fixed or am I missing something here?  If anyone can correct me, I would greatly appreciate assistance.

lmcnulty@bepc.com

Message 14 of 17
ampster401
in reply to: svend007

I do not know about the other versions besides 2009, but in our testing of this issue, we noticed that using the RD 2009 Save command does actually save the original image file even though that "cannot save" error msg pops up and it then creates an additional .tmp file.

Has anybody using either 2009, 2010 or 2011 noticed that the original file is being saved even though they are presented with that error msg?  You may just have to open up the original image file in MS Paint or something similar to determine it is actually being saved.

This has been a known issue since 2009 - and Adesk makes one user think they are escalating their attempt to fix this back in April of this year...where are the results of that "fix" they are working on...and will that fix be made to all versions of RD that are currently supported?

Message 15 of 17
CarlNelson
in reply to: msorensen

Yes, I noiticed that even though it comes up with the message about it being unable to save the tif and it does create the tmp, if I just delete the tmp it has saved the original anyway and is just fine... This is unfortunate because I believe it has caused much lost time for us to "discover" this for each person finding this error.

Message 16 of 17
chris.blair

Hi Guys,

Just a thought... try checking the length of the path where the file is being saved to.

We have had this problem which was rectified by shortening the path name.

Not sure what the limit is but this worked.

Cheers,

Stretch.

Message 17 of 17
todd_cannon

Does anybody know if this has been fixed yet? I'm still on 2010 and this is a real pain. Seems like it should have been fixed by now if AD really put some priority on it. What about the newer versions? Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost