AutoCAD Raster Design Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there a HOW-TO on working with aerials?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
cadman33619
432 Views, 1 Reply

is there a HOW-TO on working with aerials?

Hi all...

i'm not new to autocad...but i'm new to raster design. I'm trying to trace some parts of an aerial image (roadways/sidewalks) and from what i understand, raster design can be used to enhance or modify an image...then convert it so that some lines/edges show more clearly, and them maybe convert that somehow into a dwf or dwg. I'm sure i'm not explaining this the right way. i was hoping someone could lend a hand because i have quite a lot to trace... 

and i'd love it if i could show that there is an easier/faster way to do this and be the hereo around here.

any tips would be much appreciated

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ACADuser
in reply to: cadman33619

The first thing is to insert the image into your drawing.  If the image is georefrenced and all the settings prior to import are right the aerial will be placed in the drawing at the correct orientation and scale. If the image contains no georeferencing data, simply insert the image then move, scale & rotate to get the desired scale and orientation. When tracing/drawing linework on aerial imagery I like to set the transparencey of the image to 50%.  You can make the change from the properties menu or right click menu after selecting the image.  This gives a much better contrast between the linework and image while tracing, which helps reduce eyestrain. Finally use whatever combinatinon of drawing tools that best suits you to trace the features in the aerial.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.  Hope this helps.

Edit:  I forgot to mention the Raster Design tracing tools work best with scanned images from line drawings.  My experience with aerial imagery is RD does not work too well and did not give the level of detail that I was looking for.

ACADuser
Civil 3D 2018, Raster Design 2018
Windows 7 Enterprise
Dell Precision 5810 Workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB GDDR5
DUAL 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost