Did you mean: 

Google Earth and Raster Design

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jefferyjensen
1393 Views, 2 Replies

Google Earth and Raster Design

Hello Raster Design Users,

Have you had success using Raster Design to import imagery from Google Earth? I'm having the following issues and would like your suggestions:

Problem with Google Earth (GE) Pro and Civil 3D

1. when I save an image from GE, it does NOT save the world file (.jpw) but does save the .jpg in color

2. when I use Civil 3D to import imagery from GE, the image is properly placed/position/geo-referenced in my Civil 3D drawing but the image is in Black & White/grayscale.

3. Civil 3D will NOT honor Arbitrary XY coordinate systems with transformations already set when IMPORTing a GE image. Civil 3D does give the option to support Arbitrary XY when EXPORTing a surface/model to GE KML/KMZ file. Would like to know if Raster Design works better with Arbitrary XY coordinates.

I feel the best and simplest solution would be if GE would just save a world file (.jpw) but I doubt this will happen.

Second best option is if Raster Design can create both a .jpw and color .jpg

Currently, I use the following method to import GE color images into Civil 3D which is cumbersome: http://faculty.unlv.edu/jensen/CEE_301/cee301spring09.html#Map3DGoogleLL2SPCS

If you have already solved these problems or have any suggestions on how to improve/simplify the process, I would be grateful for your input.

Thank you for your assistance,

Jeff Jensen
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

I guess you should take a look in an AutoCAD plug-in (named Plex.Earth) that solves your problem as you describe it.

Next video shows how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkrEpfbsoAk
Message 3 of 3
m4tts1m
in reply to: jefferyjensen

Here's a suggestion based on similar glitches i've had in the past.

If the image is inserting with the proper geo-reference but color is forced to grayscale, then
1. export a world file,
2. detach the image,
3. MAKE A BACKUP OF THE IMAGE(s)
4. open the image in some other raster editor
(Photoshop, GIMP; anything able to open and "save as" a file of this size)
5. do a "Save As" to overwrite the image
(generally, this is removing any fancy headers embedded in the file, which can -for whatever reason- cause AutoCAD to display grayscale)
6. insert the image into AutoCAD, but you'll need to use the World file since the header has been stripped out.

(7) if you want/need, you can now export a new image from AutoCAD with the geo-ref header embedded.

hope that helps
it's a few hoops to jump thru, but it worked for us.

matt

Edited by: m4tts1m on Apr 21, 2009 2:09 PM Edited by: m4tts1m on Apr 21, 2009 2:10 PM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost