Did you mean: 

change aspect ratio

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
stevedb
15856 Views, 12 Replies

change aspect ratio

Hi all.
We just got raster design installed for our Map 3D 2009.
On our maps, I typically insert a raster image, and then do an overlay of the parcel polygons to get a clearer image in my mind of how it should be. One of the problems I've found is that while I can scale an image to match one direction, it's generally too wide/narrow for the orthogonal direction.
So, my question is- can Raster Design change the aspect ratio of the inserted image? I don't see an option to do this on the toolbar.
I.e., I want to either widen or narrow an image's width once I'm confident that my scale is accurate.
And using adersheet is not an option I prefer to use.

Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
stevedb
in reply to: stevedb

wow, so no one knows anything about this?
That's disappointing.
Or have I not explained it clearly enough?
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

There's a command, IDESKEW? maybe

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:19:42 +0000, SteveDB <> wrote:

>Hi all.
>We just got raster design installed for our Map 3D 2009.
>On our maps, I typically insert a raster image, and then do an overlay of the parcel polygons to get a clearer image in my mind of how it should be. One of the problems I've found is that while I can scale an image to match one direction, it's generally too wide/narrow for the orthogonal direction.
>So, my question is- can Raster Design change the aspect ratio of the inserted image? I don't see an option to do this on the toolbar.
>I.e., I want to either widen or narrow an image's width once I'm confident that my scale is accurate.
>And using adersheet is not an option I prefer to use.
>
>Thank you.

Phil Daley
Message 4 of 13
stevedb

Thanks Phil.
I looked that up and the help file doesn't show anything about that.
Part of this topic is that I'm unable to locate anything that allows me to unclock, or control the aspect ratio.
If I attempt to change the height or width, the width or height is automatically changed.
I've looked all over the properties window to see if I can locate an "unlock/lock" aspect ratio, and I'm unable to locate it.
Which is strange, because it discusses the topic in the help files.
Of course it doesn't take you to the location that it's discussed, it just talks about it in changing the height/width of the image.
e.g.,

To specify a new height or width for an OLE object

Right-click an OLE object. Click Properties.
In the Properties palette, enter new values for Width or Height, or enter a percentage for Scale Width or Scale Height.
NoteWhen Lock Aspect is set to Yes, if you change either height or width, the other automatically changes to maintain the current ratio between the two. For example, if you change height to 50 percent, width automatically changes to 50 percent. Set Lock Aspect to No if you want to change only height or only width.
Click OK to apply changes.
Command entry: PROPERTIES

So, I guess my problem here is that I cannot locate the Set Lock Aspect Ratio tool.
Does anyone know where it is? And unless it's really hidden-- even in plain sight-- it's not on the property window, because I keep it open all the time.
Again, thanks for your helps.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

What about IMATCH?

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:47:33 +0000, SteveDB <> wrote:

>Thanks Phil.
>I looked that up and the help file doesn't show anything about that.
>Part of this topic is that I'm unable to locate anything that allows me to unclock, or control the aspect ratio.
>If I attempt to change the height or width, the width or height is automatically changed.
>I've looked all over the properties window to see if I can locate an "unlock/lock" aspect ratio, and I'm unable to locate it.
>Which is strange, because it discusses the topic in the help files.
>Of course it doesn't take you to the location that it's discussed, it just talks about it in changing the height/width of the image.
>e.g.,
>
>To specify a new height or width for an OLE object
>
>Right-click an OLE object. Click Properties.
>In the Properties palette, enter new values for Width or Height, or enter a percentage for Scale Width or Scale Height.
>NoteWhen Lock Aspect is set to Yes, if you change either height or width, the other automatically changes to maintain the current ratio between the two. For example, if you change height to 50 percent, width automatically changes to 50 percent. Set Lock Aspect to No if you want to change only height or only width.
>Click OK to apply changes.
>Command entry: PROPERTIES
>
>
>So, I guess my problem here is that I cannot locate the Set Lock Aspect Ratio tool.
>Does anyone know where it is? And unless it's really hidden-- even in plain sight-- it's not on the property window, because I keep it open all the time.
>Again, thanks for your helps.

Phil Daley
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

I think Steve wants to change just the display of the image, not the image itself.
The AutoCAD image engine needs to have square pixels in order to work with an image. So if you need to change the aspect ratio of
your image, you'll have to rubbersheet and save the result to a new image.

Matt

"Phil Daley" wrote in message news:6016973@discussion.autodesk.com...
What about IMATCH?

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:47:33 +0000, SteveDB <> wrote:

>Thanks Phil.
>I looked that up and the help file doesn't show anything about that.
>Part of this topic is that I'm unable to locate anything that allows me to unclock, or control the aspect ratio.
>If I attempt to change the height or width, the width or height is automatically changed.
>I've looked all over the properties window to see if I can locate an "unlock/lock" aspect ratio, and I'm unable to locate it.
>Which is strange, because it discusses the topic in the help files.
>Of course it doesn't take you to the location that it's discussed, it just talks about it in changing the height/width of the
>image.
>e.g.,
>
>To specify a new height or width for an OLE object
>
>Right-click an OLE object. Click Properties.
>In the Properties palette, enter new values for Width or Height, or enter a percentage for Scale Width or Scale Height.
>NoteWhen Lock Aspect is set to Yes, if you change either height or width, the other automatically changes to maintain the current
>ratio between the two. For example, if you change height to 50 percent, width automatically changes to 50 percent. Set Lock Aspect
>to No if you want to change only height or only width.
>Click OK to apply changes.
>Command entry: PROPERTIES
>
>
>So, I guess my problem here is that I cannot locate the Set Lock Aspect Ratio tool.
>Does anyone know where it is? And unless it's really hidden-- even in plain sight-- it's not on the property window, because I keep
>it open all the time.
>Again, thanks for your helps.

Phil Daley
Message 7 of 13
stevedb

IMATCH-
I did some reading on this, and it appears to allow the rotation, scale, and move of the image. But, according to the help file, it doesn't discuss anything on changing the aspect ratio.
I even found a quick reference guide online, and it's woefully silent on the topic.
So, and please forgive me if this is irritating due to how frequently I've asked (and please don't think that I don't appreciate your willingness to help-- because I really do....),
how do I change the aspect ratio?

Is this an option that has a different name to it in AutoCAD?

I see in the property window that I can change the contrast, scale, transparency, etc.... of an image, but no where is there an aspect ratio tool.

And by aspect ratio, I'm referring to making the image wider, without changing the height.
Or, by changing the image height, without changing the width.
I tried doing this in the property window, and once I give a new height, the width is changed automatically. Or if I change the width, it automatically changes the height.
I looked for an option to unlock the aspect ratio, or something akin to this, and could find nothing.

I have tried doing this outside of the AutoCAD, by using another image editing program. Aside from it taking more time, there's no base point reference to use to ensure that I'm getting an accurate modification.

I put a screen shot of my property window in a word document, along with a screen shot of the Word image editor. I've attached it so you can view it.
On the Word image editor, you can plainly see an aspect ratio modify check box.
On the property window you can see all of the properties for the raster image in AutoCAD.
On the property window, you can plainly see the height/width for the image. I've tried manually changing these, and all it does is to affect a change in the overall scale, not the width versus height.
If I'm missing something, please talk to me.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

As I stated in my other response, rubbersheet (IRSHEET) is what you want.
If you are just stretching the image in one dimension, then it is a very simple rubbersheet: two corners will be set as anchor
points, and the other two corners need to be pulled out (or set in) the same distance.

Matt

wrote in message news:6018431@discussion.autodesk.com...
IMATCH-
I did some reading on this, and it appears to allow the rotation, scale, and move of the image. But, according to the help file, it
doesn't discuss anything on changing the aspect ratio.
I even found a quick reference guide online, and it's woefully silent on the topic.
So, and please forgive me if this is irritating due to how frequently I've asked (and please don't think that I don't appreciate
your willingness to help-- because I really do....),
how do I change the aspe
ct ratio?

Is this an option that has a different name to it in AutoCAD?

I see in the property window that I can change the contrast, scale, transparency, etc.... of an image, but no where is there an
aspect ratio tool.

And by aspect ratio, I'm referring to making the image wider, without changing the height.
Or, by changing the image height, without changing the width.
I tried doing this in the property window, and once I give a new height, the width is changed automatically.
Or if I change the width, it automatically changes the height.
I looked for an option to unlock the aspect ratio, or something akin to this, and could find nothing.

I have tried doing this outside of the AutoCAD, by using another image editing program. Aside from it taking more time, there's no
base point reference to use to ensure that I'm getting an accurate modification.

I put a screen shot of my property window in a word document, along with a screen shot of the Word image
editor. I've attached it so you can view it.
On the Word image editor, you can plainly see an aspect ratio modify check box.
On the property window you can see all of the properties for the raster image in AutoCAD.
On the property window, you can plainly see the height/width for the image. I've tried manually changing these, and all it does is
to affect a change in the overall scale, not the width versus height.
If I'm missing something, please talk to me.
Message 9 of 13
WillYu

I have the same problem of changing the width of the image with the height fixed. Did you solve your problem?
Message 10 of 13
juanita83

How about inserting the raster image into a block, and then changing block's x, y or z scale?

Of course that would require some extra calculations (to find the ratio between the new and the old number you want to modify), since it's not as simple as entering a new height, length or width...

Message 11 of 13
parkr4st
in reply to: juanita83

Before any of that can be done the type of image and if it is georeferenced needs to be known.

If it just a picture with no geo coordinate system reference; i.e world file, it has to be located, rotated, and scaled to known points using any method that works and saved with a world file. 

If is a georeferenced image, it still needs confirming against known points and it is entirely possible the polygons are not correct and need revision.

Plus the geo coordinate system plays into the equation as the points and data all must be on the same system to line up correctly.

Posting the image and polygon sample would let others try.

dave

Message 12 of 13
shady.ashrafRDREJ

Go to properties of the image.

you will find the field of lock aspect ratio...

change to no ....

Message 13 of 13
DanielGlenn6513

Make a block that contains the image.

When creation the block unchecked the "Uniform Scaling" box.

Change X or Y scale as required.

Explode block. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost