Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

war veteran needs help getting R14 repaired

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
D0UG
2388 Views, 4 Replies

war veteran needs help getting R14 repaired

A neighbor who is a disabled veteran wants to use a 9-year old IBM Net Vista PC for some AutoCAD work.  I got the PC running good but AutoCAD 14 fails to run properly.  First it was heidi.dll and now it is gdifont3.hdi.  He said he attempted to reinstall AutoCAD 14 several times but it did not work and finally the PC would not even boot.  His real problem at the time was the PC and not AutoCAD though.  I read in a another forum thread that installing AutoCAD 14 over an existig installation without deinstalling and rebooting can cause problems such as some program files being deleted after the first restart of the computer.  I believe that is what happened to him. 

I got the PC running but would like to surprise him by getting AutoCAD working too.  The problem is that he believes he threw away his AutoCAD CD's in disgust after fooling with it for several weeks.  He did not know that his main problem was the PC and not AutoCAD.

Is there a place where I can download the gdifont3.hdi file?  I do not know how many other files may be missing.  AutoCAD does start and loads its main screen then displays a small window saying "Error Loading Module" and cannot find this file.  If I close that message window, a new window pops up saying it cannot load the display driver and the program closes.

I know I can download the entire program ISO image from a warez site but I am not interested in that.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcmahobn
in reply to: D0UG

The only file i have in my directory that looks similar is this gdi3.hdi file. Does it say where the file should be located? I might be able to track it down then.

Message 3 of 5
D0UG

The error message does not mention the directory; however, I came across a similar problem on a blog site that identifies the directory as \Windows\System 32. 

This is from the bog site http://www.jefflewis.net/blog/computers/

When you try to run 'acad.exe,' you'll probably still get errors. This is because the AutoCAD setup program installs additional files into your 'Windows' directory, and adds the appropriate entries to the registry. You don't need to worry about editing the registry on your 64 bit system. Simply copy all the necessary files from the 'Windows' directory of the 32 bit system into the 'Program Files (x86)\Mechanical' directory of the 64 bit system. On my computer, the only two missing files were 'heidi3.dll' and 'gdifont3.hdi,' and they were both in the 'Windows\System 32' directory. I had already installed several programs by the time I got around to installing AutoCAD, including a 3D drafting program, so I'm not sure if there would be any other missing files on other systems, but the error messages you get when trying to run 'acad.exe' will let you know which specific files you need.

Message 4 of 5
mcmahobn

I'm running windows 7, so I have no idea if this will be compatible.

But good luck!

Message 5 of 5
D0UG

Thank you mcmahobn!  That is all it needed.

I have never used AutoCAD but I can start the program now and it shows no errors.  I am taking the computer back to him in the morning, and he will be surprised.

Thanks again for the help.Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report