Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Win7 and have various questions

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
drle10
850 Views, 3 Replies

Upgrading to Win7 and have various questions

Hi.

I'm maiking the long overdue leap next year and upgrading my pc's. I currently use AutoCAD R14 and have very useful custom comands made with LISP. I also have a newer version of CAD (2006) which I rarely use.

In the past I have avoided upgrading to 2006 because I've never been to sure about the LISP commands and whether I can continue using them.

I feel its about time I modernised and upgraded to Win 7 and use my AutoCAD 2006.

Can anyone recommend my next move.

I'm upgrading my PC to a far more capable unit (3GHZ, 2MB processor with 4GB RAM)

I'd like to continue using my LISP files in 2006 on Win 7.

Do I need Win 7 Pro or is Home sufficient?

and does it have a compatibility option built into the software or is it something that needs to be downloaded?

Does it need to be 32 or 64 bit?

I understand that LISP files may need amending. Is this correct? How difficult is this?

Any advice on this relatively mamoth leap by a novice, would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: drle10

LISP never changes, only the AutoCAD commands and their choices can change between versions.

So unless you've loaded R2006 and confirmed these truly all do not work, I suggest you just try it. HELP in R2006 can walk you through most of the commands and their subroutines, then you can use Windows Notepad to fix your Lisp files.

Message 3 of 4
drle10

ok, will do. Thanks.

What are your views on my other questions?

Message 4 of 4
pendean

Since nothing lower than R2010 is supported by anyone in Windows7, you'll have to explore this location you are posting in and the R2006 forum for tips from other users about that combination.

Remember, 64bit vs. 32bit has a lot to do with what 'else' you have (printers, plotters, disk drives, scanners, etc.) that needs to be hooked up and whether those items have 64bit drivers or not, and what would you do if there were no drivers for them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report