Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R14 & Windows Vista

145 REPLIES 145
Message 1 of 146
mateo d
38524 Views, 145 Replies

R14 & Windows Vista

Hello, Is it possible to run Release 14 on windows vista?
145 REPLIES 145
Message 141 of 146
nilesh_pat
in reply to: Ed_S

thanks for loading sh31w32 dll file. It's working
Message 142 of 146
explodingbee
in reply to: mateo d

I have three problems.  I am Running AutoCAD R14 on Windows Vista.  I could not get it to work for a long time but then read how to do it on this forum and it now runs ok - EXCEPT for the following: 

The help menu does not work.  When I click on "Help" -> "AutoCAD Help Topics" I get an error message which says: "WinHelp() failed."  So I don't have my help files. How do I get them back?

Also, I cannot open my own backup files.  I get an error message which says: "Cannot find the specified drawing file.  Please verify that the file exists."  That s also a problem.  (I can't rmemeber if this problem started when I switched to Windows Vista or if I had the same problem previously when I was working with Wiindows XP.)  How do I fix this?

The third problem probably has nothing to do with the fact that I am using Windows Vista:  The AutoCAD command line is now a window floating around (instead of it being properly fitted into the bottom of the screen).  I don't know what I did to cuase this and I can't get it to go back.  The tool bars, by contrast, I can drag away from their places on the side or top of the screen, turn them into floating windows, and then just put them back on the top or bottom of the screen and they fit right into their places.  I can't do the same with the command line box.  (Of course, since I have no help file I can't look up how to do this there.)

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Message 143 of 146
vfrflyboy
in reply to: explodingbee

explodingbee,

I know this problem with the help files. When I 1st got this to work on Vista, I noticed this about a week later.

I have researched and troubleshooted this for a long time. I finally just gave up on it, and I dont gave up very often when it comes to computer crap. What I did find out, the "help files" are a system of their own so to speak. They were made to work with Xp.

Files needs moved around and/or add just like R14 to get it to work in Vista. If you find out how this is done, you would be my "Hero".

As per your backup files....Since they are backup files, I will assume you made these file when you was running Xp. If they wont open, most likely they are from a 32bit OS, Vista, bring 64 bit ( I will assume again you installed Vista 64 bit because your in this forum) 64 and 32 are not compatible. Here is a work around. Autodesk does have some viewers to d/load for free.

Get the one you want, view your files with autocad (vista) open.    http://usa.autodesk.com/support/viewers/

Your command line  not locking into place? Thats a new one on me. Maybe the Mod. can jump on this one for ya.

Good luck

Message 144 of 146
guaitiao
in reply to: Ed_S

Wow Ed you rock! Save a lot of time...Running ok on Vista 64 just copying my old xp AutocadR14 dir to ProgramFiles and replacing your HS32W32.dll File.....Thanks to all people contributing with this! You save my live! Happy new 2013..

Message 145 of 146
uraniumtiger
in reply to: nilesh_pat

Hi vfrflyboy,

Thank you for your response.  At this point I have finally succeeded in getting Windows XP (32 bit) installed on my computer and so I said goodby to Windows Vista and the help files are back.  I still cannot open the backup filles, however.  If I go into Windows Explorer and click on a backup file a dialgue box comes up which says that Windows cannot open the file because it doesn't know which program created it and I am asked to have Windows look on the web for the appropriate program or to select the program from a list.  When I try to open the backup files from inside AutoCAD I cannot see the backup files.  Since I still have the problem with the backup files in Windows XP 32 bit (includiing with new backup files created in Windows XP 32 bit) I don't think the 32 bit vs 64 bit thing is the cause of the problem.

Regarding the command line not locking into place, since I reinstalled AutoCAD 14 that is back to normal.  I just don't move the command line and it is fine.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  

Best regards,

Vincent

Message 146 of 146
andyew
in reply to: bridges1111

Know you came here looking for detail on r14 and Vista. Can confirm the fixes and downloads listed in the entrety of the thread also work for Windows 8.

Thanks to Ed.S, ninjawaynes and bridges1111.

If you follow these guys instructions EXACTLY it'll work as described. 

Can't keep a good app down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report