Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R14 & Windows Vista

145 REPLIES 145
Message 1 of 146
mateo d
38525 Views, 145 Replies

R14 & Windows Vista

Hello, Is it possible to run Release 14 on windows vista?
145 REPLIES 145
Message 2 of 146
teiarch
in reply to: mateo d

According to James Coates, the computer guru for the Chicago Tribue, it should be possible and probably easier than running it on XP (I'm paraphrasing Mr. Coates' comments).

For some programs, he suggests setting it to "Run As Administrator" or change the settings to have Vista emulate an earlier version of Windows.
Message 3 of 146
mateo d

OK that's good news, I tried to run R14 after updating to Vista and the program immediately failed to start up; I'll try to get it working again.
Message 4 of 146
teiarch

I suggest that you do a search and see if he is on the Chicago Tribune web site. Might get more information there,
Message 5 of 146
Jimmy S.

Were you able to get R14 to work on vista. We have new pc's with Vista and keep getting a (smartheap) error.
Message 6 of 146
mateo d

No, i haven't tried it yet. I'm going to try to reinstall it soon.
Message 7 of 146
Jimmy S.

When I installed R14 on Vista, we didn't get any error messages. But when I tried to open the program is when the SmartHeap error occurred. I've sent an e-mail to James Coates (from an earlier reply) but haven't gotten anything back yet.
Message 8 of 146
lesinokc

I'm in the same boat with you guys.

Installed R14 on new duo core laptop with Vista. Installed ok. Click on shortcut and get:

"Mem Bad Pointer"
then
"Smartheap error handler recursively re-entered"

I'm not worried to much as I still have R14 on desktop with XP

I found something on the net about Autocad problems with Duo processors. They gave me a small .exe file which alters my registry. The instructions are attached.

I did as they said...........but to no avail.

I will keep my eye out for information here. If anyone finds out anything.............PLEASE post it.
Message 9 of 146
Jimmy S.

I wonder if the dou processor is the reason why changing how the program opens doesn't help. I mean setting it to run like windows 98, 2000 or even xp. We just spent a fair amount of money for this not to work. (frustrating)!!!!!
Tags (1)
Message 10 of 146
teiarch

JImmy S.: Coates knows a lot of stuff about operating systems but I doubt if he'd be much help with Autocad. He's like a lot of other "experts"; they can get you running again if it's an "ordinary" program like Word or Excel but not many of these gurus outside the Cad community are of much help.
Message 11 of 146
mateo d

I don't think it is your dual core processor (if that's what you mean). This is because i received the same error messages as you did and i have an older pentium 4.
Message 12 of 146
Jimmy S.

I was only trying to follow up on your previous post. At this point any help would be appreciated. Does anyone know if the gurus at Autodesk monitors these discussion groups, or are we on our own to deal with this?
Message 13 of 146
joeself

ON YOUR OWN. R14 has not been supported for many years and they say so. They look, but this is a peer to peer group.
Message 14 of 146
Jimmy S.

Found this blog yesterday. It doesn't look good for R14 & Vista. http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2007/02/autocad_and_aut.html
Message 15 of 146
Ed_S

Nooooooo! Say it isn't so! R14 is too fine of a product to be obsolete. All I need are a few line of LISP to fix this. 😞
Message 16 of 146
dxarhoulakos

lmao. now thats funny.
Message 17 of 146
ninjawayne

i found the way to make r14 work with vista

1)find SH31W32.dll file in r14 forder
2)then rename it or take backup
3)replace SH31W32.dll files that works with vista Message was edited by: ninjawayne
Message 18 of 146
Ed_S

It works!!! Woohoo!

I used this attached dynamic library file, setup the permissions on the .cfg and .reg files in the mechanical folder to allow writing, adjusted some registries to allow writing, and life is good again! Uh huh, uh huh!

Thank you oh wise ninja Wayne-san. Message was edited by: Ed S.
Message 19 of 146
DBarr

Ed. S.

Are you using Mechanical Desktop (referring to your "mechanical folder" reference)? Could you elaborate on exactly what changes you had to make to the .cfg and .reg files. Also...you mentioned that you made changes to the above files to allow "writing". Are you saying that AutoCad wouldn't save files in Vista? Elaborate on that also please. Message was edited by: DBarr
Message 20 of 146
Ed_S

After the .dll replacement, R14 would open but I was getting two error messages. On opening, I would get one message about being unable to modify the registry and a suggestion to open REGEDIT (no suggestion from Vista on what to do in REGEDIT though).

On closing R14, I would get an error about not being able to write or save configuration.

I looked for what could be considered a registry file. "acadaut.reg" was what I found that looked like a good option in the "c:\program files\mechanical" folder, which is where all of the R14 support files tend to be on my machine. So I right-clicked on the file, selected 'properties', went to the 'security' tab, and edited the permissions so that 'write' access was allowed. I actually, granted 'full access' because I didn't notice 'write' as it's own selection, but that was probably more than is needed. I then looked for what would be a configuration file and found "acad14.cfg". I went through the same permissions update with it. During all this, I'd make a change and then try out R14, make another change, try out R14 again. After/During this, I felt the need to go and run REGEDIT, right click on each major folder, and update the permissions to allow writing there too. Now I have a working R14 on Vista 64-bit.

My version of R14 does include mechanical desktop, however I mainly use the AutoCAD program. Also, AutoCAD seems to prefer being installed in the Program Files area, not the Program Files (x86) directory. Hope this helps out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report