cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2
archman54
678 Views, 1 Reply

large PDF files

I am using R-14 and when I make pdf files to send out to contractors for bidding purposes I have to split up the dwg. files into separate e-mails, which is a pain.  I am using xrefs in my sheets.  Are xrefs the problem?  When I print out my xrefs that I make i notice that the xref boxes show up in the preview and it also on the print.  I have received other dwgs (xrefs) from other architects and their files are a lot smaller in size.  Is it possibly due to the fact that they are using 2007 or higher?  There is a size factor difference of about 5 to 1 or more.  I do have 2007, but am having a plotting issue with it, so its back to r-14.  I really like R-14 and hate to part with it.  I guess i'm one of those old school people that hates change.  But will if i could figure 2007 out.  Thank you all in advance for any and all help with this situation, as the boss is getting very upset with having to e-mail all these separate files individually to contractors.  Not a productive way to e-mail.  Thanks again. 

If you need additional info, will forward, but i thought this was long enough as it is.

Archman54

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
TherealJD
in reply to: archman54

you never mentioned HOW you're making the PDF files. What PDF driver are you using?

In R14, i had good success plotting to EPS (postscript printer driver) and then converting to PDF using Ghostscript.

You could use CutePDF as an out-of-box solution, and see if your PDFs are any better. (based on ghostscript).

However, I would strongly suggest exploring the new plotting features and enhancements in 2007. It's worth learning.

Also PDF is great for distribution, but giving DWF packages of the drawings are alot smaller, usually 1/10th of the size of PDFs!  DWF can be plotted/printed using the free DWF viewer from Autodesk. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report