Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting raster imjages into AutoCAD R14 drawings under Windows 7-64

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
joeharwhi
2074 Views, 2 Replies

Inserting raster imjages into AutoCAD R14 drawings under Windows 7-64

I recently bought new system with Windows 7 64-bit installed.  I have been running AutoCAD R14 for many years on my 32-bit Windows  XP Professional system so I copied AutoCAD R14 from one system to the other with a special cable.  Naturally I had all the driver compatibility problems and getting AutoCAD R14 to work has been frustrating chore but so far a successful one.

My last (hopefully) problem is that the ability to insert raster images did not get copied along with the remainder of AutoCAD R14.

When I open a drawing which has a dozen perfectly good (JPG) raster images and click on INSERT instead of getting the expected IMAGE window allowing me to navigate to the desired raster image I get nothing!!  The INSERT window goes away and I am back at the blank drawing window.

When I started using AutoCAD R14 many years ago I seem to remember having a similar problem but cannot remember what I did to fix it.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
joeharwhi
in reply to: joeharwhi

more information that will help please tell me. I'll be quick to respond, I am desperate to get AutoCAD R14 going!
Message 3 of 3
joeharwhi
in reply to: joeharwhi

Well, folks, here is the latest...

I found an entry in an Autodesk forum dated quite a few years ago by an apparently very knowledgeable user of AutoCAD  R14 who solved the problem of inability to INSERT images.

His instructions were to take steps to make sure AutoCAD R14 had immediate access to the "ISM.arx" file which is resident in the folder in which the AutoCAD application file is located.

It seems that the simple proximity of the file does not guarantee that AC14 knows it is there and can access it.

I studied his instructions for a very long time and blundered a long time and finally I think I have correctly understood and followed his instructions.

In any case, now I can cause AC14 to recognize that I am asking it to display the IMAGE window and allow me to select a raster image for placement in my drawing.

The problem now resolves to yet another problem.  Sometime shortly after I begin to navigate to the location of the raster image the program displays a window:  "FATAL ERROR:  HEAP ERROR".  Then it changes to "Error handler re-entered.  Editing now"  followed by a button labeled "OK".  Of course when the OK button is clicked the screen returns to the desktop.

I have other problems with the procedure but this is the most serious since it is indeed FATAL!  The other problems I'll address when I have found and fixed the HEAP ERROR problem.

I know that the forums have many entries concerning heap errors and I will renew my search for one that is successful for me but meantime, can anyone help?   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report