Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning in 3d

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
uraniumtiger
460 Views, 1 Reply

Dimensioning in 3d

I am dimensioning a 3d object and I want to know if I am doing this properly.  I add the dimensions in model space.  For each view that needs to be dimensioned I create a layer for the dimensions of that view and I freeze the dimensions of all the other views.  I also need to create a new coordinate system for the dimensions of each view.  This is because the dimensions only can be drawn in the xy plane.  I cannot use the coordinate system which is easily created for each view by just selecting UCS-->View because that may put some of the dimensions inside the body of the object I am drawing and then when I use the Hide function some of the dimensions, or parts of them, are not visible.  Thus, I must create a new coordinate system for the dimensions of each view (that I need to dimension) for which the origin is located one or two units in front of the object I am drawing.  It just seems like a cumbersome and unduly complicated system to add dimensions and I would think that AutoCAD would have a simpler and/or more automated way of performing such a basic function.  Am I missing something?  Is there a shortcut or an easier way to do this?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
uraniumtiger
in reply to: uraniumtiger

The essence of the question is: Do other people also create (as I am doing) both a new layer and a new coordinate system for each view that needs to be dimensioned?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report