AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WISH LIST AUTOCAD PLANT 3D 2016

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
ybogdanov
10418 Views, 38 Replies

WISH LIST AUTOCAD PLANT 3D 2016

Let's go to remember the old wish list for developer team of Plant3D, and will add new points. Please, update the list with copy past and future comments:

1. Dinamic Symbol ToolPalett for P&ID (Spec Driven P&ID)

2. Cable tray in 3D

3. Rectangular pipes - ducts.

4. Civil inteligent modeling

5. Integration of AutoCAD Structural Detailing tools in Plant3D or recognize steel members of ASD.

6. Modify Steel member catalog

7. Insert components in 3D directly from catalog (as Custom Part option)

8. 3D elements sets - for example: Socketweld+Nipple PE+SW Valve + Nipple TOE + Plug, all this with one click.

9. Reference representations in isos, for example wall or steel member

10. In ortho posibility to hide layers and objects during configuration of orthoview. Posibility to generate isometric-ortho view of one selected line number. 

11. Automatic Ortho dimensions

12. In ortho cut solid simbols, for example walls or equipments.

13. Automatic Ortho annotations

14. Tubing routing without bends and elbows (with curve pipes)

15. Jacketed pipes

16. Time of ISO generation in By-pass lines

17. Include in Project Setup: Title Block Link - for all: P&ID. ISOS, Orthos. This link it will be update all existing layouts and sync Title Blocks

18. Mark in P&ID Line List inserted objects in 3D, now it's imposible to view if the valve was inserted or no

19. Function for 3D objects "licalizate in P&ID", and for P&ID objects "localizate in 3D" (the same function like "surf" in AutoCAD Electrical)

20. Create instrument elements in Spec Editor

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
38 REPLIES 38
Message 21 of 39

We use Plant 3D where I am working, and as the person that has to build the Electrical Racking into the 3D model. I find it unbelivable that Autodesk has not put a facility for the building of Cable Racking into Plant 3D, as this is a very inportant part of a Plant model. We are expected to payout for a further very expensive program, after already paying for the expensive Plant 3D, just to use one small section of the other program. I have never had this problem when I was using PDMS. So my main wish for Plant 3D is a usable way of modling racking as standard in Plant 3D.

Message 22 of 39
dtham
in reply to: Phil-Battershill

I thought plant is only good for piping. Revit MEP would be better to model electrical rack.

Personally, I use Solidworks to build anything that required customed geometry.
Most manufactured use Solidworks for detail design. I did a cyclone building.
Pumps, Cyclone, hoses, all customed component. Vendors supplied Solidworks model.
Message 23 of 39

We use Plant 3D for what it is targeted at, which is to design Process Plants, which do include a lot of pipes as well as cable racking.

Revit MEP is more targeted at the interior plant in buildings, rather than a Process area. Which tends to be largely outside a building, but not necessarily completely outside a building. So the capability of modelling cable racking in Plant 3D would be extremely useful to the people that use it.

Philip Battershill
Design Draughtsman
philip-b@rb-plant.co.uk
[cid:image002.jpg@01CFC1CD.2F2F01E0]
www.rbplant.com

Tel: +44 (0) 1622 858387
Fax: +44 (0) 1622 858920
Message 24 of 39
dgorsman
in reply to: Phil-Battershill

One of the problems is that cable tray and associated design isn't similar to piping components.  Its the same problem with getting a piping design program to do structural design.

The objects in the program are designed with specific properties and methods based on what they are and how they behave in the model.  Most piping objects behave in a very similar fashion, such that they can be defined as a base object with intermediate objects which add more properties and methods, with those extended to more specific objects, and so on.  Cable tray and structural objects don't share a lot in common with piping, so a whole new development stream has to be added for each of them.  That includes not only programming but also subject matter experts and creating some basic data sets.

Not saying that its impossible, but could be more difficult than it initially appears.  I know - I've built a cable tray design system.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 25 of 39
vakhtang
in reply to: dgorsman

Are we still talking about Plant 3D? because it DOES provide with some structural features  - including stairs ,railings, plates etc. the program is called PLANT 3D for reason. if they say they cannot provide stuff like thi - so they have to stop selling it as plant software and continue as piping software.

Message 26 of 39
Phil-Battershill

Also if you have the Plant Design Suite Ultimate, as we do it includes Revit Structure, and Autocad Structural Detailing. Which allows you to model accurate structural models. So if it includes these why can they not include the relevant section of MEP that has the capability to model cable racking in Plant 3D. PDMS has all these in the one package, which Plant 3D is supposed to do a similar thing.

Philip Battershill
Design Draughtsman
philip-b@rb-plant.co.uk
[cid:image003.jpg@01CFC210.88DE77A0]
www.rbplant.com

Tel: +44 (0) 1622 858387
Fax: +44 (0) 1622 858920
Message 27 of 39
dgorsman
in reply to: vakhtang

Which is my point.  Nobody would confuse the structural capabilities in Plant3D with Revit Structural, Tekla, or any of the other structural design programs.  By the same token, we shouldn't expect detailed cable tray design as found in programs dedicated to that function.  At best we would see a rough equivalent to the structural capabilities - something to rough it in.  If something more detailed is desired then the appropriate software can be used, or a custom solution can be bought or created.

Message 28 of 39
dave.wolfe

I'm recreating the idea list here:

https://plant3d.uservoice.com

This will allow users to vote on ideas so that the best ones get floated to the top.  It only works if everyone gets involved, so feel free to participate!

Item 28 is a duplicate of item 10, I believe. Item 34 is complete. In naviworks the insulation is on the P3dInsulationLayer. That just isn't exposed in AutoCAD, so you don't see it unless you know it's there.  I think 42 is a duplicate of 23 essentially, and I think 44 is a duplicate of 2 and 3.

Ideally everyone will jump on board with this list.  It should be far easier to track and rank, and we won't have to update the list for each release.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 29 of 39
dgorsman
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Thanks Dave.

Message 30 of 39
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: ybogdanov

Please all participate in opinion poll created by Mr. Dave Wolfe for prioritizing the wish list.

http://ow.ly/ANDPN

Message 31 of 39
thebearjed
in reply to: Arun_Kumar_K

just my opinion of needs rather than wish...

1. layer modifications prior to ortho cut...without this the ortho generator is a pain.
  2. better more options for control valve actuators
  3. drag and drop vents/drains...olet-nipple-valve-plug
  4. cable tray
  5. duct (rectangular)
  6. instruments in specs
Message 32 of 39
dave.wolfe
in reply to: thebearjed

All of these items were captured here: and we have even had several people voting on their favorites. Feel free to contribute:

https://plant3d.uservoice.com/forums/263656-general

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 33 of 39
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Once again requesting all to participate in the opinion poll for prioritising wish list.
Message 34 of 39

When exactly will we end the pool?

Is Peter on track of the situation?

Message 35 of 39
JoeKay
in reply to: PeterQuinn

-More command of layering and Linetypes in Ortho generation.

examples:

Better layer On/Off capabilities.

If pipe is on a 'hidden' (dashed) line type when ortho'd it shows as a hidden line. Or have another property that states above or below grade. Below grade then = hidden line type on Ortho. (I have made numerous posts/ threads on below grade pipe. #1 GOOGE search result. There are only work arounds, we need dedicated control for how to show Below Grade Pipe.)

Existing Pipe - if status is set to existing, the centerline on Orthos should be independent of Proposed pipe. As of now they share the same layer even if you have separate Existing and Proposed piping files.

Also,
Weld by Flange Valves in catalog. They are standardized valves, they should be included. I shouldn't have to make them.

Message 36 of 39
dave.wolfe
in reply to: JoeKay

https://plant3d.uservoice.com/forums/263656-plant-3d-wishlist/filters/top 

This isn't a poll per se. I'm planning on leaving it open. I'll do my best to make sure features get marked as completed as Autodesk addresses them.  So, this should be a permanent wishlist that reflects the current state of Plant 3d.

@JoeKay Please add a request for underground piping in the uservoice wishlist.  It'd be nice to see some votes for that.

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 37 of 39
gaoste
in reply to: ybogdanov

-First off, make the Match type property as powerful as the Eye droper in ArchiCAD, i loved that in ArchiCAD.

-In Floor Plan view, eassy and fast toggle on/off see through any other floors or multible floors, can change capacity!! better with shortcut key for it.

face it, everyone hates menu. so less menu as much as possible.

Message 38 of 39
chris.downing
in reply to: gaoste

I would like to see the ability to insert equipment from the P&ID list. This will complete the insert from P&ID.

ACADE & PLANT3D Applications Engineer
CAD Training

Standard and bespoke PLANT3D Training and ACAD Training and ACAD ELEC Training

Message 39 of 39
dgorsman
in reply to: chris.downing

Have a look at the Plant3D IdeaStation: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-plant-3d-p-id/idb-p/48

This is a curated list so the developers will have a better idea of what ideas are more popular.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost