AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using "Threaded Rod" instead of Bolts?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2484 Views, 3 Replies

Using "Threaded Rod" instead of Bolts?

Is it possible?

In Some Operations at the field, using this Threaded Rod is easier and cheaper.

Is it Possible to use "Threaded Rod" instead of Bolts?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SW210
in reply to: Anonymous

As long as the strengths (shear, tensile, etc) are up to the loads that the threaded rod will be seeing. I have seen and still see threaded rod being used in take-up units and adjustable motor bases, etc., since the working loads are seen by the bolts that secure them. 

This is really something to be determined by a licensed engineer. Without getting out my books, I recall in some instances, as long as we are not talking about graded bolts, A325 etc., you should be OK swapping threaded rod for bolts or if the parts are to be welded after final adjustments you might see this as well.

Really depends on the situation. Do you have Engineers?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: SW210

Well, I am an engineer. Our pipes don't carry big loads. So, we have no unexpected stuation. We are using "Threaded Rod" instead of Bolts at the field.

My question, is it possible to use "Threaded Rod" in the "Plant 3D" , for show, for BOM etc.

Message 4 of 4
Attila.Vallyon
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi !

Try inserting stud bolt from a catalogue and then rename in the pipe spec to threaded rod+2x nut and washer.

Or something like that.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost