AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Wish List for 2012

86 REPLIES 86
Message 1 of 87
sreid13
11590 Views, 86 Replies

User Wish List for 2012

Just thought it is a good idea to start this thread seems with the previous thread 'User wish list' most of the ideas were implemented in version 2011. So if anyone wants any improvements or added features here is the place to have your say.

- To be able to get female threaded connections in the equipement creator.

- The ability to insert a block that has an assembly of parts. For example we use various risers for gas, oil and water and they are all standard assemblies. So it would be easier to have a directory of risers so we can just insert a block and be able to move it wherever it is needed and still be able to connect to it unlike xrefs, which need to be on 0,0,0.

Regards,

Scott

86 REPLIES 86
Message 41 of 87
philip
in reply to: sreid13

Something minor but would be nice visualy is to have the stem of the handwheel with an option of passing through the centre of the handwheel (rising stem).

Message 42 of 87
danceman

Wish to have "zone model views" (something new?) for zones in a model (these views are not in a layout) and the way they are made is just like the way you make them in Plant 3D ortho views. This is where you get a "cube" in the model, to make a zone model view, resize it, then pick the view you want, top, bottom, left, right, front, back, SE iso, SW iso, NE iso, NW iso and so on to view the model in, locate in the model where you want its location, have it so you can enlarge it (or make it smaller just like in a layout). Then place these views in the model space apart form the model itself, activate them just by clicking in them, have a border around them to show if they are active or inactive and perhaps in a different border color, name them, manage them, but have them all visible all at once (where they were last set to) so the user can readily identify which one you want to readily go to. AND THE USER CAN WORK IN ANY ONE OF THEM.

I believe if you can "zone" a plant (parallel), say a plant that is 4 levels high, 12 zones deep, and 20 zones wide this would be great or you could divide up the zones differently. This would make viewing and modeling a "master model" so much easier especially if you could create these zones with a "cube" just like the one used in Plant 3D ortho and perhaps a "created zone view window" where you can view all 7 views at once(?) to see if you got what you want, done by a popup window of some sort.

I realize things like "ram memory" might be a problem but the benefits would be tremendous. But the ram memory loss would be kept to a minimum because all the model zone views are not be active so only the ram needed to portray these views in 2D (even though they are a model view) is needed. Once you click outside the view you are working in then that would activate that view and deactivate the rest.

Benefits, just to name 1 are; if you are working on pump piping that is on the 3rd level, 3rd zone deep, 6th zone wide and most of the piping is better seen in the left (or perhaps a ISO of this zoned area) view you can readily get to it (if you divide all the zones up that you have a lot of work in) rather then turn a zillion layers on/off or go thru a zillion layer filters just to see what you are doing and you may need perhaps a few of these layers and filters turned on/off to route piping in such a confined area. Or you can create these model zone views as you need to then delete them but the master model still has the changes in it.

or if anyone knows how to do something like this right now (and if you do I would be highly embarrassed) please email me at  donald_walker_oldmanone@yahoo.com and we can get in touch perhaps if needed for an informative verbal exchange on this.

Another way I have done this in the past is by xref. Every pipe nut and bolt is its own drawing. They are also on there own layer. So in order to route a pipe you have to xref all kinds of stuff into the new drawing (that you need to have to properly visualize and miss running into anything else) that you are routing your new pipe in. This is very time consuming in most cases but it saves on the "ram memory."

And make this available in "AutoCAD" not just Plant 3D.

Message 43 of 87
Rich.O.3d

How about a button on the visibility panel :

pick from list of line#'s and xref names to reshow instead of having to show all and repick to hide

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 44 of 87
donande

With a Tool Palette’s “Hatch command” add the ability to choice “Pick Point” orSelect Object”.

Also in Ribbon’s Hatch panel add tool palette style hatches, so pattern and properties can be selected in one click.

IT would look just like the pattern panel, be be much more powerful.

and for a change HOW ABOUT MAKING IT IMPORT/EXPORTable!!!!!

Message 45 of 87
gri4775

We need to construct the possibility of bent pipe. Just as with the Inventor. We want the radius and the section lengths can enter! This should include work with ISO-gen edition of the elongated tube length and the PCF output.
Tags (1)
Message 46 of 87
Discussion_Admin
Moved:

We moved your post to the AutoCAD Architecture forum where there is likely to be more active feedback on the topic.

Message 47 of 87
Slepe

My proposal are:

• Making decent Isometric view to ortho drawings
  • Insulation should be transparent and as someone said also example one pipecomponent so it be easy to make insulation list
  • Isometric should be able to bind project gridlines so that isometrics shows measures to nearest gridlines
  • Isometrics should show insulation despite has it but on in the 3D model
  • Isometrics should also show connection to to equipment despite the reference has turned on
  • I think it would be good also to be able to show start and end point to the pipe line and it stays connected and shows somekind "connection" line (PDMS feature)
  • Specs and Catalog editor update: their is lots of doing
Message 48 of 87
JimCircle
in reply to: PeterQuinn

I am very disappointed with the functionality to import and export module structure Plant3D:

Autodesk has wonderful tools such as robot structure, Revit Structure and Structural Detailling. Plant3D but has a very poor interface SDNF Deplus which is buggy. For more details:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/Export-Structure-not-reliable-at-all/mp/2945038 # M2123
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/Bug-exportation-from-Plant3D-to-Robot-HEA-profiles/mp...
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/How-to-export-Structure-to-Revit-or-Detail-Structure/... # M2114
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/Bug-on-plant-3D-orthoview-don-t-see-structure-profils... # M2115

Furthermore, why not recover, see share functionality profile catalog Robot? For example:
- Plant3D in the popup choice of profile we do not visualize the size of mink Profile
- In the case of export to Robot, why force the user to create 2 times in one profile and other tools?
This double dévellopement for something substantially identical is not a reliable interfacing and efficiently.

Then, it seems also necessary in order to import structures from Plant3D Robot or Revit or Detailling. This so they can reintegrate into a project structure sized and validated changes by calculation or by studying in detail the model for all Plant3D.

Finally, it seems necessary to make intelligent objects of reinforced concrete for the same reason interfacing with other Autodesk good product (which Robo).

I hope to be very pleasantly surprised by the version 2012!

Message 49 of 87
reactor386

Why AP3D has no plane profile of AutoCAD ( like "<<VANILLA>>" in other products of Autodesk)?
Sometimes users want to run a simple AutoCAD, but in any case in Plant 3D we always see importunate "Select Project" screen.
I wish to see option such as "Place Plant 3D as AutoCAD link on Desktop" during installation. And I want to have separate AutoCAD profile of this product.

Message 50 of 87
RickFrance
in reply to: reactor386

Just change your Workspace to 2D Drafting and Annotation for Vanilla AutoCAD.

Turn off the Welcome Screen by setting PlantWelcomeEnabled = 0

Rick France
Solutions Engineer
Hagerman & Company
Message 51 of 87
rstearns

1.The option of using Plant 3D without setting up a project. Sometimes you just need to draw a simple run of piping, NOT set up a

whole project.

2. More size options in catalog parts, the ablity to add sizes parametricly without having to create another model for the catalog.

Message 52 of 87
Catrina

I would really like a way to send a dwg file that is a read only or the ability to permitaly attach a water make to a drawing like the educational version of autocad does.   In addition if there could be a standard place where you can find equipment or fittings to add to your spec sheet, ie flanges, hammer unions, ect.  that would be exceedingly helpful.  Also mu complay uses polypipe alot that is bendable so if there could be pipe that would rope around it would be great.

Thanks autodesk

Message 53 of 87
bberger
in reply to: philip

-Dancman

You can accomplish what you want by utilizing AutoCAD saved views with clipping or even saved layers(command view)...I generally have 3-5 model space viewports active, plan, front section, another section, and isometric view typically(command viewports)...Then you can set your saved views current as you need and quickly jump between the model space viewports...There's also no additional burden placed on your computer, atleast from what i've noticed. Unless you use a realistic viewstyle in all the model space viewports...

Message 54 of 87
TPHadden
in reply to: Catrina

Catrina,

Does reason exist for the need to send dwg files?  Would using the dwg to pdf pc3 driver to plot to full size drawings not work instead?

I use the dwgtopdf.pc3 all the time and can send plotted drawings full size (A,B,C,D,E) to my clients and the PDFs are usually smaller than a drawing file.  The good news is that the client can not get at the drawing information other than whats provided.

Message 55 of 87
Catrina
in reply to: TPHadden

The company that is contracting the drawings is insisting on DWG's they want to be able to manipulate the model and see the annotated layouts that correspond to the prints they have out in the field.  The dwf files doesn't allow for the layouts to be seen and the pdfs can't be manipulated.  The problem is that they are then sending (or selling ) my drawings to another company who is then altering them and claiming them as there own. So I was hoping to send it as a read only or have a permanent water mark like the educational version has.

Message 56 of 87
bberger
in reply to: Catrina

You need two dwf files to accomplish what you're after, a 3d dwf for the model and then publish any corresponding layouts using the dwf pc3...just tried it with 2012 design review and you can merge 2d dwfs into a 3d dwf but i'm not sure you can directly create it from autocad since you need to publish to get the sheets and 3ddwf for the model, two separate commands...

Message 57 of 87
Rich.O.3d

how about a snapable node on the structural elements at the guage line

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 58 of 87
bogdanov.y

When we can see the new relise of Plant3D? All programs of Autodesk have new version 2012 but Plant3D is only taking...

Message 59 of 87
Vic87

Hi!

It would be great to have such features in 2012 release:

1. annotations/ line tag can have joint type = inline in P&ID

2. schematic line can have width like polyline

3. some perametric editor for catalog parts like in Autocad MEP, to built own geometry and to have an opportunity to modify dimensions like with the catalog parts - using spec editor or MSExcel export - editing - import. - That feature is really missing I think. 

Regards, Victor.

Message 60 of 87
derekfeher
in reply to: Vic87

Would be nice if they fix pipe routing when using 45º elbows, whenever i route using those elbows, the pipes connecting to the ell always remaning open, so i have to play with the pipes in order to fix it. Also would be great if you add more fittings and valves, like control valves (automatic ones), threadolets and pipes with coating, like epoxic coating and such as.

They also need to fix the production isometrics, because i.e. line 303 its connected with line 305, i create the final production iso for line 303, and in the point that its connected to line 305, its says pipe connected to 303! not 305. It's not common error, but it happens.

Cheers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost