AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USER WISH LIST 2013

42 REPLIES 42
Message 1 of 43
philip
2414 Views, 42 Replies

USER WISH LIST 2013

Lets hope us early birds get the worm next year (or shall I say our wishes)

Not truly a P3D wish but I'm using P3D and SSM (Sheet Set Manager) I would be very nice if the powers to be could see their way and merge the Rename-Renumber tag & properties tag or at least have scroll buttons in the properties tag to allow you to scroll through the different drawings within sheet set instead of having to jump in and out of each individual files properties to just change the revision number.

(yes we do use Sheet set manager instead of the P3D as our jobs also encompass other drawing types - civil, buildings,etc etc)

GO THE ALL BLACKS!!!

42 REPLIES 42
Message 21 of 43
philip
in reply to: JRPalmer

Have a look at this link http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/User-Wish-List/td-p/2604406/highlight/true/page/3 I had asked the question a couple of releases ago about a fuzz factor the reply was great and i have since been running with settings a little bit less strict to allow miss joins to happen, hope this helps.

Message 22 of 43
asalcido
in reply to: philip

I would like to see the elevation of steel members in the tooltip.  It would be easier to hover over a member than trying to ID a point.

Alex Salcido

Piping Designer

Saulsbury Industries

Message 23 of 43
ybogdanov
in reply to: asalcido

1.Automaticly update TAG of Line Group (in the P&ID). Now if is drawing the lines without asigning TAG, the Line TAG and Line Group TAG is empty, its ok. But if you change the TAG of segment and save it, for update the TAG of Line Group is necessary search in the Data Manager the column and do doble click for each group...

It's problem because if you don't update manually in the 3D List of Line numbers from P&ID, all groups have the value "?".

2. Posibility to DELETE any item from Data Manager. There are cases than in the DataBase there are objects which don't exist in the 3D o 2D model. And for delete this itemos from DataBase is necessary to access using another programs of SQLite or SQL server. It will be good option than in validation function will be posible to detect automatically this lost geometry ITEMS.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
Message 24 of 43
Attila.Vallyon

Hello!

It would be a great benefit tio be able to create bent pipe. So instead of having straight pipe segments and elbows, there is only a single pipe with bent segments. This would be only one item on the ISO.

This applies to the pipe sizes below 1/2".

Regards,

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 25 of 43
Grampster

The program already has the capability of putting in pipe bends. Here's an example for ASTM Pipes and Fittings Catalog. In Catalog Editor, filter for ELL 90 LR. Select and Duplicate Component. In General Properties, change the Long Description to PIPE BEND 5D, 90 , ASTM A53, change Compatible Standard to B36.10, change the Short Description to PIPE BEND. In Sizes, check "All Ports", change all the Curve Radiuses and R-parameters to 5 times the nominal size. Change the Long Descriptions to PIPE BEND 5D, 90 , 1/2", ASTM A53 GR B (with appropriate sizes). Save to Catalog. This can then be used as a template for other schedules. Other bend radiuses can be created. As an option, SEAMLESS can be inserted in the Long Description.

When placed in a spec, they would be listed under Elbow. Pipe bends are an added expense. Like elbows, these can be tracked in the database. They can also be trimmed like elbows. Note: I have already tested this method successfully.

Sunetic Services
Owner/Consultant
Message 26 of 43
dgorsman
in reply to: Grampster

Unlike elbows, bends are not strictly in one axis and may have significant tangential length on each end.  For example, pipeline risers are frequently a single piece 's' bend, not two extra-large radius elbows welded together.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 27 of 43
Grampster
in reply to: dgorsman

I'm fully aware of how bends are created and have used them innumerable times over the last 50 years in all kinds of system, from marine to nuclear to chemical, etc., and for all kinds of pipe, including ultra-high pressure SST piping (I.e. 2" ID x 3.5" OD). I'm not a novice or a dunce as you imply and don't need you to tell me what constitutes a bend in the real world. My suggestion was suppose to be a relatively easy WORK-AROUND for the model, which you apparently misunderstood.

If you want a more elaborate representation of a pipe bend with the tangentials, create a NEW Component and use the "Pulled Bend" Geometry in Catalog Editor [Pulled Bend (PE) doesn't display the Size Parameters]; it's STILL going to be an elbow. A lot more work, but if you're on salary and your boss doesn't mind, have fun. I'm also not going to tell you how to handle the more complex configurations - you figure it out yourself.

P.S. I don't fly by the seat of my pants. I've earned my pilot's license.

Sunetic Services
Owner/Consultant
Message 28 of 43
dgorsman

Geez, its teh internetz.  No insuations or insults were implied, intended or anything.  Calmness, please.  🙂

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 29 of 43
puthumazha

We are working on fire fighting system for Oil Storage tanks. the fire water spray system is installed around the tank. PIPE RINGS are used to fix spray nozzles around the tank. BENDING THE PIPE ON THE SCREEN will benifit us. Like, there should be an option to type the pipe bend radius in the 'properties'. The same matter was added in the wish list-2012 too. But there was no updation when P3D was released. Making a custom elbow cannot solve this problem.

Message 30 of 43
puthumazha
in reply to: puthumazha

It would be better if we can show approximate model of valves instead of symbolical representation. Now the gate valves, Check valves etc looks like PnID symbols even in the ortho view. Some clients make remarks on these representations even the end to end dimensions are correct. Also i wish if there's an option to On or Off bolts in the flanges.

Message 31 of 43
Grampster

In the ASME Pipes and Fittings, there is a PIPE BEND. It is, essentially, an elbow with a defined bend radius. This can be duplicated and the radius changed to suit your tank. You can create a new pipe bend with straight lengths on either end, too, but that's a lot of data entry. This is the work-arounds for PLANT 3D 2012 that I messaged earlier. You can have any number of "pipe bends" in a spec, each with different radiuses.

This morning, I reviewed the new features being added to PLANT 3D 2013, and that includes pipe bends. Since I don't have the update yet, I can't test it out. From those new features, it's obvious to me that Autodesk is listening. Bravo!

As for your request for more graphic valves, they can be created in Inventor (or ACAD solids) and brought into PLANT 3D. You would have to use PLANTPARTCONVERT to make it a compatible block. In creating a new catalog component, you would use "Use Custom Geometry" and use the converted model.. Alternately, it sounds quite involved but you can create parametrics for the valves. Do an online search for "autocad create parametric". Alternately, you can go to http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Parametric_AutoCAD_drawings.html. Hope my ideas help somewhat.

Sunetic Services
Owner/Consultant
Message 32 of 43
ybogdanov

Don't comment in this post, the Plant3D 2013 already is here.

Yury Bogdanov
Barcelona (Spain)
Message 33 of 43
puthumazha

Thanks for your reply.

and I'm so happy to hear that Autodesk is hearing the word Pipe Bend.

In practical these LONG RADIUS BENDS are not considered as bend but pipe.

the pipes rolled up in particular radius and installed at site. the spray nozzles are spaced within the pipe bend. So in the BOM, the bend may appear as pipe with its cut length. this is what really we looking for. Hope this can be done P3D2013. 

Message 34 of 43
Grampster

I understand what you're saying about the exterior spray ring. Years ago, I placed a spray ring on the interior of a huge tank.

This comment relates to AP3D 2012 since I don't have 2013 yet. Years ago, I use to trick AutoPLANT to do lots of things; Pipe Bends in AP3D 2012 are really nothing but an elbow with a different Long Description and material spec with schedule as an option. It's using Catalog Editor to trick the program into place a "bend". Essentially, it's duplicating an elbow and changing what you call it. The advantage is that every "bend" will be counted in the BOM report.

I'm really anxious to see what 2013 has done with them. Will they actually be part of the pipe? Can you define the radius on placement? Can you place a bend greater than 90 degrees? Hope so.

Good luck with your project.

Sunetic Services
Owner/Consultant
Message 35 of 43
ybogdanov

Plant3D 2013 is posible to download from subsription center of Autodesk

Yury Bogdanov
Barcelona (Spain)
Message 36 of 43
puthumazha

Many thanks to Grampster to share such a glad news. bending a pipe as we wish is possible in P3D 2013. the bend can be modified through property bar. see attached snap shot. A BIG THANKS TO AUTODESK TEAM.

Message 37 of 43
Grampster
in reply to: puthumazha

Thanks for the screen clip, Puthumazha. The only word that comes to mind is "awesome". I can hardly wait to load 2013 and test it out. According to your dialog box, you can change the bend radius AND the angle!

I just finished watching the Autodesk YouTube video and I'm really impressed. I'm sure lots of users will rejoice with this version. Job well done!

Sunetic Services
Owner/Consultant
Message 38 of 43
EileenForan

Following is a list of the new features in AutoCAD Plant 3D 2013.

http://autocad.autodesk.com/?nd=plant2013newfeatures

I hope you find this helpful.

Thanks,

Eileen

Eileen Foran
Community Program Manager
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 39 of 43
Mudbay

1. When I'm using a x-ref of a building made in native Autocad and 3D-solids, I want to be able to define a hatch pattern. This hatch do I want to show when I make orhtos, for example concrete walls.

2. In 2D-sections we show new pipes with center line and existing pipes without center line. As Plant 3D is working today, I only get one centerline for all pipes though I put new pipes in one layer and existing in another layer.

3. In Sweden and atleast some other parts of Europe we show the center line of an elbow as an arc instead as Plant 3D shows now when you create an ortho and get 90 degree turns of the center line. I heard that Autoplant had a choice where you could either use the american way (as today) or as I want.

/Mattias

Message 40 of 43
Moved:

We split your post in to its own topic in the AutoCAD Plant 3D forum to get more active feedback on the topic.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost