AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tangent edges

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
dustbuster
1570 Views, 16 Replies

Tangent edges

Hi

How do you turn off tangent edges when creating orthographic drawings? in P3D?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
patpat79
in reply to: dustbuster

Can you please attach snap shot? thanks

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 3 of 17
dustbuster
in reply to: patpat79

this is a I beam as you can see the tangent edges are visible how do you switch them off when projecting views (inventor and AutoCAD give you this function).

Message 4 of 17
tgwestbrook

Has there been any resolution on this issue?

Dustbuster's screenshot perfectly illustrates the problem we are running into.

Message 5 of 17
PeterQuinn
in reply to: tgwestbrook

What happens if you change the visibility mode to outline?

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 17
tgwestbrook
in reply to: PeterQuinn

I am afraid that might be beyond me...

In what interface/menu do I adjust visibilty modes?  I cant find any reference to those settings throught the forums or google.

Thanks,

Message 7 of 17
TRdesigner82

Snap 2015-08-24 at 10.56.30.png

Message 8 of 17
tgwestbrook
in reply to: TRdesigner82

maybe structural steel was a bad example.

Very little of our steel is done in Plant3D.  Rather, it is done in Revit/prosteel/etc and imported into the project, so there is no option to change the shape model settings.

I am looking for a setting that when generating the ortho it will pull siloutte edges but not tangent edges.

Message 9 of 17
PeterQuinn

The ortho functionality will generate the hidden line view of whatever's in the 3D model. If the steel was imported as solids and it has these edges and ortho faithfully reproduces them. Your best bet is to see if you can output the solids as outlines.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 17
RichO

so either my PFC doesn't show its root radius

or

the SHS shows the outer and inner(hidden) tangent lines

Capture.JPG

no option to turn off or dither the tangent lines

The tangent edges need to be put on their own layer so they can be turned off or made thin and light

What with this being the first release of the software, I understand why this hasn't been fixed/added yet ... ohhh hang on its not 2010 anymore

Message 11 of 17
RichO
in reply to: RichO

Has anyone worked out a viable workaround for this missing functionality.

Can this be added to the wish list ???

Can we expect this to be addressed some time this decade ???

While we are at it .... how about putting hidden lines on the objects layer with a modifier (somewhat similar to how supports are added on their own layer)

or at least split the 'Hidden' layer into Hidden_Pipes and Hidden_Other.

Also how about adding a selection button next to the hidden line options button to the ortho editor ribbon tab that lets us decide per drawing view (not per model) what shape model we want to see in that particular view.

Anyway back to the tedious task of creating documentation with limited tools!

Message 12 of 17
dustbuster

In the stucture tab sellect outline model in 2018 tangent edges are gone
Message 13 of 17
RichO

tangent edges have always been 'gone' if you select outline model .... nothing new there

also note that outline model will still show tangent edges for any 3d solid or steel shapes from other programs

Message 14 of 17
RichO

anything new on this subject ????

How hard can it be for the developers to understand that we need to output drawings with basic functionality like this. Stop with the new bells and whistles please and give this program the ability to create drawing views that dont look like a 5th grade school project !!!

separate layer for tangent edges the same as hidden lines would do the job, surely there is at least one programmer at Autodesk that is capable of doing this before 2025

Message 15 of 17
gvalenzuelaCRH9K

Hi

first sorry for my impolite english,

¿can you tell me if this theme can be solved?

I had the same trouble, when i create a view of estructures, for example i attach some imagesperfil elevacion I o cuadrado - como debiera o podria salir.JPGperfil elevacion I o cuadrado.JPGperfil elevacion I o cuadrado - version optima.JPG

two tipes of estructure, but when we see in elevation looks very similar.

in the photo 3 options, the most acceptable, the wortless and the best.

have some idea?

best greatings

GVA

Message 16 of 17

I have not heard of any solution to this as of yet.  I keep searching the updates to see if some feature has been added.

The same as Gvalenz's screenshots-  we need the first and third options, however the Ortho Generator only provides for the second ('The Worthless')

We have a large amount of W beams and HSS, and the lack of tangent edge control gives the drawings a distinctively 'plant3D' sloppiness.  Putting tangent edges on a separate layer, like the hidden lines or the piping center lines would solve this.

Message 17 of 17

There is a solution, but its a makeup (VERY FRUSTRATED)

CREATE ORTHO VIEW - CHOOSE OPTION OF ALL HIDDEN LINES - GENERATE THE VIEW - PICK THE VIEW (MODEL SPACE) - CHANGE LAYER - CHANGE LINETYPE - LTSCALE (FOR HIDDEN LINE) - EXPLODE - DELETE LINES 

the engineer of Autodesk must create the option of SHOW TANGENT LINES (y/n) when everybody works in PAPER SPACE.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost