AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Area

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
sethb
1413 Views, 6 Replies

Surface Area

Hello,

I am trying to calculate the surface area for insulation on a run of pipe in Plant 3D. In AutoCAD 3D modeling there is a command for this "Area"<"Object" which will give you the surface area for whatever object you select. When I try to use this command on a run of pipe in Plant 3D it does not work. Is there a command for this or do I need to do a manual calculation using the individual dimensions? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mjohnson
in reply to: sethb

Its not a plant 3d tool, but the link below has an easy surface area calculator.  Take the radius and length, both available in Plant 3d, plug them in and get your surface area.  You can also add a surface area property, with and without insulation, inside of Plant 3d Project Setup so it shows up on your data manager(you'll still have to manually enter this, but you can export the data manager, fill it out, then import the info).  It would be nice if this was automatically done in Plant 3d, but its a feature that has yet to be added.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/object_surfacearea_pipe.htm

Message 3 of 7
sethb

Awesome! I will check the link out. I appreciate the feedback.

Message 4 of 7
jabowabo

You can do a PLANTDEFINECALCPROPERTIES property to automate this but you will run into the same limitation as with mjohnson's suggestion:  Plant 3D provides a length property for pipe but not fittings, valves, etc.  

Message 5 of 7
sethb

Yea, so basically either way I am still having to enter a surface area formula manually.Better than nothing I guess.

Message 6 of 7
th.lim

Hi Plant 3D Gurus,

Is there a way to export a Plant 3D drawing to Inventor so one can find the mass properties through it?

Best regards,

Tim

Message 7 of 7
patpat79

Well, just an Idea, for Plantcalculatedproperties, you can create new property and add the length of your fittings, valves etc. that has no length value in it so as to have a result as same as to Pipe. Havent tried my self, but worth trying for your ease. Thanks

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost