AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structural Steel Stick Drawing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Fangblood
389 Views, 4 Replies

Structural Steel Stick Drawing

Is there a capability in Autocad Plant 3d to turn the steel members into single line stick to put on an output drawing?

We want the steel to be 3d in the model and just single line stick on the 2d drawing cut from the model.

Anyone know if this is possible?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bbrowni
in reply to: Fangblood

I'm hoping to do something similar. Did you find a solution to your answer? 

Message 3 of 5
daniel.klingspor
in reply to: bbrowni

A little late to the party but here is my 2 cents.

When we want to do a line drawing for steel we have a layer called "STEEL LINE" or similar.  After placing your steel members, draw a line on this layer at the TOS or leg of the angle or back of channel (whatever is appropriate for the member).  Then we back up the line from where the connections are 3" in the model (this may vary depending on your desired line thickness).  So now you have your 3D model and your stick drawing in one model.  Now cut your orthoview like normal.

Message 4 of 5
bbrowni

That is what we should start doing probably. Previously I had been referencing the 3D model into autoCAD and tracing the model by using the centerlines of the members. We thought we could skip a step since there is a Line display option but we didn't realize that display method is buggy and doesn't work.
Message 5 of 5
bbrowni

Just realized this wasn't the thread I started but one I commented on. Here is the other thread. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-plant-3d-forum/convert-member-structure-to-simple-lines/td-p/...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost