AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stanchion to elbow template

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
838 Views, 4 Replies

stanchion to elbow template

Hi All

I have inventor 2014, autocad mechanical 2014 and plant3D 2014, is it possible somehow to join a dummy leg to an elbow, and then create a template that the pipe fitter can wrap around the dummy leg to cut the pipe, so it will fit flush onto the elbow?

I have searched for hours online but cannot find a solution.

ANy help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

I'd say don't overthink it.  Fab shops know how to do this (they can get a little tetchy when they get micromanaged like this), as long as you specify it with an appropriate detail drawing or clear instruction for a non-penetrating weld they'll get it right.  Let them do their job so you can spend more time doing yours.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks but I have been asked by the fitter if I can do this, because it will save them a lot of time (which it will).
Message 4 of 5
dgorsman

Ummm.  Oh.  Wow.  Might be time to find a new fitter.  Smiley Surprised  That sort of thing is their job, after all...

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Yes and any good engineer will try to find productivity improvements rather than say 'that's your job'.

So when constantly get different size pipe supports and elbows coming in if the fitter can just grab a templete he saves a little bit of time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost