AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Project creation on SQL Server

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
798 Views, 6 Replies

SQL Project creation on SQL Server

Hi,

I am new to Plant and new to setting up projects on an SQL server so I need help with setting up an SQL project in Plant3D 2012.

I have set the project up in the project manager and completed all the information pertaining to the SQL database and used Windows Authentication for the access rights. The SQL server is correct and verified when I test the connection.

I have also used an exiting project to base the settings on as not to set the project up again.
Once I click create, this project does not appear in the drop down menu in my project manager.
My question is then, where is the project.xml file and how to I navigate to it and open my SQL project and thus share it with my team?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: Anonymous

So, the only that is being moved to SQL Server are the four project databases (Process, Piping, Ortho, and Iso).  The file structure remains the same, so you have to tell it what folder you want the project in.  Not having seen the settings, I don't know where it got created, but the default location is in your Documents folder.  

I suspect that selecting the project settings as a reference may have messed something up.  You should probably copy the project first and then migrate it to SQL Server using the Maintenance exe in the installation directory.

Once the project has been migrated to SQL Server, you should be able to use its settings as a reference.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the help, I think I understand what you have suggested and I have tried to create an SQL Project without using an existing project file as reference. A vanilla Project for the lack of a better term.

The process I went through is to create the project file trough the project manager and pointed my project directory to the file server and not the default location in my documents folder. this is a normal process for our teams, that we use shared project folders across a file server.

I have attached all the screen shots of the process, I think I have everything right.

I have also checked what folders are created on the File Server in the location I specified on project creation and it shows what you suggested it would, no database files but the file structure is correct. I have attached a screen grab of what I see in the location.

When I go to the project manager to open my project, nothing appears in the history for me to navigate to and when I click open, its searching a file location, which as you may know, I cannot browse an SQL for files.

I have also tried copied the existing project across to a new location on the file server and tried converting the new copy to SQL but I get some strange errors but that is for another day. It might be something to do with the original project I am copying being open but my team at the time of copying it.

Message 4 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: Anonymous

It looks like it never finished setting up the project.  Perhaps there was an error on the SQL Server side.  Do you have access to the SQL log files?  I suspect that an error there would prevent the rest of the files from being created.  

I recommend setting up SQL Management studio on your machine and connecting to the SQL Server through that for troubleshooting purposes.  

With SQL Server, the dcf files are xml that include connection information.  It looks like perhaps the ProcessPower.dcf had an error which prevented it from getting created.  One tip...I recommend using the project number/name for the database prefix so that your project databases are grouped together in SQL.  Otherwise you'll have a hard time figuring out which database is for which project.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: dave.wolfe

It turns out that the permissions on the SQL were not correct so the project was not being created on the SQL and therefore not completing the process. The worrying part of this was I was never receiving any sort of error message mentioning the SQL, maybe this is a tweak required in a future version of the software.

Thank you for the help.

Message 6 of 7

Hey Dave, is there any specific document for the SQL setup which I can give to my server team.  I want to make sure they provide me the correct server and configuration so when I point my P3D to it... it works!

Message 7 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: dave.simmons.ext

there is this one: Plant 3d Sql server setup

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost