AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spec update does not update

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Layout-Bob
4465 Views, 13 Replies

Spec update does not update

Hi. I have changed my spec by adding some material properties in my "S10"-spec. Problem is that the spec-update button does not apply the spec changes. When I route new piping it applies the new material properties. This way i know my spec is updated within the project. Can I edit in data manager manually as a workaround?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Layout-Bob
in reply to: Layout-Bob

Somtimes I almost get it to work. Then I get a blank wpec update window. See screenshot

Message 3 of 14
jenakap1

Hi,

I am sorry you are experiencing problems with spec update.  We would like to better understand your workflow.  When are you seeing the blank dialog?  It would help to have a step-by-step description so we can identify the issue and fix it.  Thanks.

-
Pat Jenakanandhini
Product Manager
Plant Solutions - AEC
Message 4 of 14
cjolin
in reply to: jenakap1

I have a client that is experiencing similar issues on a project that is under a tight deadline.  I will have a copy of their project later tonight to test with...but this is a huge issue as hundreds if not thousands of existing design objects are not updating.  Manual updates via the Data Manager is not a realistic solution.

Message 5 of 14
raj.inugala

Hello Bob,

Can you please follow the steps below and let me know what you see?

1. Close all instances of AutoCAD Plant 3D / P&ID

2. Open your spec (say S10) in the 2011 Spec Editor

3. Make your changes to the spec, save it and close it. For now, just make changes to the Manufacturer field.

4. Close the Spec Editor

5. Launch AutoCAD Plant 3D / P&ID, open your project and the drawing you wish to update

6. Run the PlantSpecUpdateCheck command

Do you see the No Specs Have Been Updated dialog? Or, do you see the dialog prompting you to update?

Thanks,

Raj Inugala.

Message 6 of 14
Layout-Bob
in reply to: raj.inugala

Please provide me with your e-mail adress, and I will send you a link to a video showing my typical workflow when updating a spec.

Message 7 of 14
raj.inugala

Hello Bob,

You can send me the video at raj.inugala@autodesk.com.

Thanks,

Raj Inugala.

Message 8 of 14
Rich.O.3d

I have a spec with a set of olets in it.

I edit the olets to add a missing size.

I 'syncronize specs and catalogs'....FAIL...references an old cat that doesnt exist. (relevant to thread)

Instead, I open spec and 'check for catalog updates'...FAIL....No updates found!!!!!

I highlight the olet in the spec and hit 'Edit Parts...' if i detick 'Hide parts marked do not include', the new size is shown with a tick in the do not include column...I detick the new size.

Hey presto spec is now updated/synced to spec.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 9 of 14
raj.inugala

Hello Bob,

Thank you for sending me your workflow video. I noticed a couple of things that you can have been doing differently:

1. You can change the Manufacturer property directly in the Spec Editor’s Edit Parts dialog. Double click on the part row, in the Spec Editor, and you should be able to launch the Edit Parts dialog.
  2. If you do NOT want to change the Manufacturer property in the Spec Editor, you can also change it in the Catalog Editor (This was what you did in the video). After editing the part in the Catalog Editor, you have replaced the parts in the Spec Editor. You did this by deleting the existing parts in the Spec Editor and adding them back from the Catalog Editor. This causes a new part family to be created. All references to the older part family are lost. This is the reason why your PLANTSPECUPDATECHECH command is failing to update the parts in the drawing. Instead you need to do the following:
    1. Update the Manufacturer property in the Catalog Editor
    2. Switch to the Spec Editor tab
    3. Go to the File menu and select Specs > Check for Catalog updates option from the drop-down menu.
    4. You will see the Spec Update Notification pop-up dialog saying that catalog parts have changed.
    5. Select Update spec parts to match catalog parts option. Now all your changes will be moved over to the spec.
    6. You can verify by opening the part family in the Edit Parts dialog by double clicking the line item.
    7. Save and close the spec.
    8. Copy the spec to the project folder, open AutoCAD Plant 3D, and run PLANTSPECUPDATECHECK as you have done before.
    9. You will now see that all your existing parts’ Manufacturer property has been updated.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if this has worked for you.

Thanks,

Raj Inugala.

Message 10 of 14
raj.inugala
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Hello Richos,

The Synchronize Specs With Catalogs option is mainly used to propagate property value changes from the catalogs to the specs. It cannot be used to add part sizes to the spec. The correct way to add part sizes to the spec is to use the Edit Parts dialog.

The Edit Parts dialog lists all the sizes already present in the spec. To view all the remaining sizes, in that part family, in the catalog, you need to uncheck Hide parts marked 'Do Not Include' check-box at the bottom the dialog. The part sizes available in the catalog are listed with the Do Not Include column check-box checked. To add more part sizes to the spec, you need to uncheck the required part size and hit Apply. Now your spec part family will include the new part size.

The reason the Check for Catalog updates fails could be because you made no change to the part family in the Catalog except adding new part sizes. Also, when you run Synchronize specs and catalog, make sure you have no open specs or catalogs in the Spec & Catalog Editor.

Please let me know if you need more help with this functionality.

Thanks,

Raj Inugala.

Message 11 of 14
Layout-Bob

Hi

Thank you for your answer. I'm quite busy these days, which explains my late answer.

What you wrote makes perfect sense and I will adjust my workflow to follow you guidelines. However i get the exactly same problem. No existing specs is updated even though im sure i what is already drawn in the model is drawn with the same spec before catalog update.

Frustrating...

Message 12 of 14
Grampster

Had the same problem, but I believe I know what's happening. When you update the spec, it's updating to the CPak sub-folder but NOT to the Spec Sheets sub-folder in your project. Turn off Plant 3D. Create another sub-folder below Spec Sheets and call it SpecBak, then COPY the two associated files of one of your problem specs into that new sub-folder (this is just a precaution). If you look at the CPak sub-folder, you'll probably find the date is newer. Copy the CPak two associated files into Spec Sheets overwriting the existing ones. Now run Plant 3D. It worked for me. If that works for you now, you can do the same with all the problem specs that won't update. That shouldn't take long.

Good luck,

The Grampster

Sunetic Services
Owner/Consultant
Message 13 of 14
RohanKemp84

This is a sort of on topic issue, but I just updated computers and whenever I update specs I do not get the window which I previously did.  It's the window which lists all the items which are different from the current specs. It has tick boxes and you can select (through this window) the items which are different.

Does anyone know how to get this back, I have been through the commands list looking for it, but I can't find a thing.

Cheers.

Message 14 of 14
krpickering
in reply to: Grampster

This is exactly the fix for the issue that I had on my project and it makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost