AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spec setup and project setup

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mnoventa
319 Views, 1 Reply

spec setup and project setup

Hello.

I am a newbie and I am tryingt to understand how Plant 3d works. I (with other colleagues) had a small training and I read "Autocad Plant 3d" by Sham Tickoo, but still I am pretty confused about the interconnections between specs and project setup.

For instance: if I want to create a new kind of nozzle for the equipments, I open the Spec editor, thus Catalog -> Open -> Nozzle catalog.acat

Now by default I am on the spec tab. If I go to the Catalog editor I can choose "Create new component" and create it with its measures (length, engagement length...).

Now the nozzle is available on Plant3d and I can insert it on an equipment but here I can set whatever length I choose. However, the nozzle won't have the shape I desidered when creating it on the spec editor.

Moreover, I seem to understand that the material is not important for the nozzle: materials for equipment and nozzles are just "labels" but do not have a particular importance (I created an AISI304 nozzle and put it with no difficulty on a PVC equipment). Is it so?

Another strange thing is that if I go back to the Spec editor,  thus Catalog -> Open -> Nozzle catalog.acat, if I do not open any spec (i.e. Aisi304) and I click on the Catalog editor tab I cannot go back to the Spec editor tab. Even so, if I search for the nozzle I previously created, I can find it on the list.

Nevertheless, if, after opening Nozzle catalog.acat, I open a spec (i.e. Aisi304) and then I go to the tab Catalog editor I cannot find the nozzle I created on the list, even if I inserted Aisi304 as the material of the nozzle. Quite strange in my opinion.

Anyway, once I am on Plant 3d and I open a drawing of a project if I select Project manager -> Project setup -> Plant 3d DWG settings -> Piping connection settings, in this list I do not see my nozzle. Nozzles are not part of the piping? Ok, if so, I could agree. Anyway, in this list I do not find everything I need so I can choose "Add" on simple joint and on compound joints. But what is the difference from the plant3d point of view? If I want a new joint how can I choose between them?

Moreover I found that I could define a new kind of end for the connections using PLANTENDCODES. But in this way it seems to me that here I just can insert waterver string I want and have it available on the list. But how can I tell Plant3d how it is really made my new connection?

I am sorry I am pretty confused, I hope I explained my doubts clearly.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mikeshr2
in reply to: mnoventa

Nozzles are part of an equipment. If you want to design your own nozzles, make a complete piece of equipment with nozzles in 3D, convert it to Plant 3D and then define nozzle locations at the CP of FOF of your nozzles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost