AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Benefits of Plant Design Suite

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
M!chelle
758 Views, 5 Replies

Software Benefits of Plant Design Suite

Our company purchased the Premium Plant Design Suite (Containing P&ID, Revit, Inventor, Navisworks & Plant 3D).  How do all of the programs correlate?  Does everything tie together or is it just a tool to provide different options of use.

Example, I can add tags to my P&ID drawings and to my 3D models but should these drawings link to eachother so the tag is represented only once instead of twice in two different drawings/Autocad programs? 

I'm trying to figure out the benefits of the suite as it was purchased before my arrival.

Is this something the reseller should be helping me with?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: M!chelle

Definitely get some reseller help on this, especially if you have no experience with Revit or Inventor.  Both are at different ends of the spectrum of disciplines (workflow, finished products, etc.) but are both so far at the ends of the scale *some* training is needed to avoid hair loss.  Chances are the reseller included some training and/or support credits when the purchase was made.

If you haven't done so, check the Revit and Iventor discussion groups here so you can see some of the typical issues users are having, what they are trying to do with the product, etc.

One important fact of life with Suite-based licensing: its not a separate license for each, but one single license that can be used to run any of the included products.  If you only have the once license, you can't use it for Plant3D while another tries to run Inventor, Revit, Navisworks, etc.  There's also been some important points on combining Suite licenses with stand-alone product licenses so that some users who never use Inventor (for example) will never pull one of the multi-purpose Suite licenses.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 6
dave.wolfe

Where are you located?

Inventor -> Plant 3D Equipment when you can define ports and export using the BIM Exchange format (.adsk)

Inventor -> Plant 3D piping components when you export it to dwg, and use it as a block.

Revit -> Plant 3D when exported as Acis solids.

Revit -> ASD when using the ASD addin available to subscription clients

ASD -> Plant 3D when using xrefs.  ASD doesn't use tooltips or the properties palette so there is limited identification capability.

Plant 3D -> Navisworks with the Object Enabler

P&ID -> Plant 3D - for line numbers

P&ID -> Plant 3D for mapped components and carries properties when inserted from the P&ID Line List palette

P&ID <-> Plant 3D when using the Validation manager

And, yes, your reseller should be helping you. If you need additional support, please fee free to PM me and we can chat.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 4 of 6
M!chelle
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Located in the center of Nebraska which is not helpful as far as training resources.

The problem with the reseller is that this software was purchased a while ago.  There have been a couple other users before me, so their may have been some training done at that time.  However I don't believe that they were using the suite to it's full potential.  So I am trying to make the cross over and learn the software alone after coming from a civil setting.  I will try contacting our reseller again, but I made one attempt a few weeks ago and was not impressed with the treatment I recieved.

Message 5 of 6
JohnHolder

That is unfortuante with the treatment you recieved...

but there are ALOT of very knowledgeable people on these forums!  I have learned alot by talking to the people here and

using the resources avaliable.

We have the deluxe suite of plant 3d ( we do not need inventor )  and I am still learning more about revit and ASD.

John.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
Message 6 of 6
dave.wolfe

We have an office in Tulsa, which isn't too far.

Here's a link for the training classes offered in Tulsa.

http://ecadinc.com/index.php?id=78

There are a lot of knowledgable people on the site, but feel free to contact us if you want more direct help.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost