AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow slower slowest!!!!!!!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
arjan.gorinsekéman-engineering.be
1944 Views, 12 Replies

Slow slower slowest!!!!!!!

Unbelieveble a new release and instead of making it faster

it works slower!!!

Is autodesk making these programs for the industry or for home use?

The waiting time are not acceptable anymore.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

I agree 100%. Plant 3D has a ton of potential to be a great product. We have read posts stating that this is new and expect some issues. But as far as performance is concerned, Plant 3D stinks. We can't work with drawings if we have to wait 30-40 seconds to change views. AutoCad has had 3DORBIT for along time, why put it in the program if it doesn't work.

The computer industry is well out in front of the software developers in producing fast processors and video cards.

We use I7 Zeon based workstations with 18 gigs of ram and Plant 3D still chugs along in the 3D environment. We can't even Xref a 30 meg drawing without a huge performance hit. It is past due that AutoCad quit worrying about subscriptions and get focused on putting out  products that are cutting edge in design and performance. I haven't heard much feedback from the developers on the performance issues, they seem to be hiding out there somewhere. We want to buy this product, but at this time we can not afford to put our company at risk. So I guess we will have to stay with Bently until AutoDesk can get their act together.

Message 3 of 13
abilioramos
in reply to: darryl_sharp

Same here Smiley Sad ,

A think you have to stay with Bently for the next 10 years LoL

Message 4 of 13

Hello,

Curious to know if your still use Plant 3D? Still performance issues?

Message 5 of 13

If we use profesional grafic card, is necessary activate hardware accleretation. Is posible to use Navisworks navigator for rotate views etc.

I usually work in 2D wireframe type of view, and the program work well. For me is not necessary use realistic view, for this I use Navisworks.

Is very usefull too use two screens, in one work in Navisworks (nwf files) and in other Plant3D, with this procedure all plant design are update in realtime and all review I do in Navis.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
Message 6 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: ybogdanov

Interesting thing is if you look at the "behind the scenes" specials for animated and FX-heavy movies and games, their work process isn't all that different despite using hardware which would make us "normal" users weep with joy.  They work in small chunks using wireframe view, then bring the pieces together in a very crudely rendered view for checking, and don't even approach realistic rendering until almost the very end.  I figure if that work process is good enough for that level of quality, then its good enough for my comparitively crude work.  🙂

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 13
alvaro.nimasco
in reply to: dgorsman

In terms of performance I found 2012 faster and better than 2011, but unfortunately the orbit command still doesn't work properly and I don't think it's a graphic card problem even always taking care of leaving visible the essential. It happens that after a few crashes (4 or 5) and reopening the 3d file again everything turns into really really slow motion, selecting, moving, deleting, routing, etc.. and the only solution I found so far, for this issue, is to reinstall AutoCAD. This last thing didn't happen in 2011. I don't know if this his hitting AP3D top capacity but further useful info on this will be really appreciated.
In this case the 3d file is 98mb with about 450 routed lines, 1000 valves and 300 equipments, etc and also we use a few structure ex-ref files.
As I said, something we always have in mind is not to overload the 3d
Regards

AutoCAD Plant3D 2012 SP1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X990 @ 3.47GHz 3.88 GHz
RAM: 24,0 GB
Main System SSD - Gen3 SSHD Technology - Intel 510 Series
Windows 7 Professional 64 bits
Quadro FX 5000

Message 8 of 13
Rave.Tam
in reply to: alvaro.nimasco

AutoCAD will have a new 3D graphic engine probably by 2014 version. The same engine used in Inventor & Revit.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Check out my blog http://lazcad.com
Message 9 of 13
abilioramos
in reply to: Rave.Tam

AutoCAD is not a 3D software, it never was and never will be.

Message 10 of 13

'probably by 2014'.. very very inspiring for future projects !

Funny comment though.

Message 11 of 13
RyanBotha

@Rave.Tam

Where did you hear about that? If it is true, that would be amazing. But I'm not convinced...

Message 12 of 13
Rave.Tam
in reply to: RyanBotha

seen the demo.. probably just wait for the beta

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Check out my blog http://lazcad.com
Message 13 of 13
Gabriel.N

For  "orbit" I use (shift + midle button of mouse).

Performance sucks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost