AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Slip-on Flange Welds

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2588 Views, 13 Replies

Slip-on Flange Welds

Hi 

I have finally worked out how to ensure that slip-on or plate flanges get a weld number on the isometric drawing, (by adding a fusion weld to the connection setting)

I am trying to work out how to ensure that two welds are placed when I connect a pipe to a slip-on or plate flange.

Generally when I call up welds (on an isometric) for a pipe, the fabricator likes to see two entries for a slip-on since there are two actual welds.

Any ideas?

regards

Eddie

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
VinodBalasubramanian
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you please send me a screenshot of your requirement in isometrics and a copy of your model for further review.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: VinodBalasubramanian

Hello VinodBalasubramanian
please find picture attached. I can add a weld manually ie right clip "add
a weld", but the program wont let me attach it any closer than 50mm. And
this is a butt weld by default that cant be changed. A slip-on is welded on
using 2 fillet welds, (fusion welds in 3D plant language).
This is probably the minimum pipe length in the project configuration.
thanks for your help
Eddie O'Brien
Message 4 of 14
VinodBalasubramanian

Thanks Edward. Can you also send me a copy of the screenshot it seems to be missing and the model as well. if you want me to provide you a secure ftp link. I could be able to do that.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Hello

picture attached, I dont think you need the model, this scenario would apply to any pipe that has a slip-on flange or plate flange fitted (or for that matter any joint that requires more than one weld documented).

I have added a weld into the jint configuattion this gives me at least one weld at this joint, but I cant work out how to add the second weld.

regards

Eddie O'Brien

Message 6 of 14
VinodBalasubramanian

I did some testing here. The only way we could think is to add multiple connectors for the joint, it may not be the same weld type as required.

I assume itā€™s actually one socket-weld and one buttweld in this case, please correct me if I`m wrong.

The ISO drawing may not show the 2 welds in different location, as they are at the exact same location per 3D model, well, the weld list table is correct at least.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 7 of 14
VinodBalasubramanian

Please see below for more information.

capture.jpg

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 8 of 14

Hi Edward,

Does the above workaround helps. Do let me know, if you need further help on this. Will be happy to discuss.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 9 of 14

Hi,

Good day to you.

Just wanted to check with you for an update. Please let us know, if you need further assistance.

We will be glad to assist you further.

Your understanding and support is greatly appreciated. Have a great day !

Thanks,
Vinod.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Hello

I will check that option out over the weenkend and get back to you.

I prefer to differentiate between butt welds and "fusion" welds in the weld list.

In Australia we refer to fusion welds as fillet welds, I will check in plant to see if i can change the the way such welds are listed in the weld mpa list.

thanks of your help.

In future it would be much easier to send me emails that io can reply to.

Message 11 of 14

Hi All,

PLs, find the attached file for More clarity of Weld no. for Slip on Flange,

Suppose give option in ISogen regarding this issue, can be show 2 Weld Number or only one like the other softwear like CadWorx

Regards,

Ahmed Helal

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Hello Vinod

yes I am satidfied with this workaround.

A sophisticated design package like Plant 3D needs to be able to document what happens in the real world. If a joint needs two welds or three welds then there should be a facility to allow for inclusion of the necessary information.

I had considered including the butt weld and the fusion weld in the joint, but given that when a butt weld is included in a pipe to fitting joint the weld is called up (in the weld map) as a "buttweld". I figured it would do the same if I used it in the slip-on connection. However it does not and correctly calls up two "welds".

I would really like to be able to call up my buttwelds as buttwelds and my fillet welds as fillet welds.

I apologise if I make any cultural offence but the notion of a fusion weld is a strange on to me. If I refered to a fusion weld it would be the type of wled that is used to joint things like railway lines together. ie an exothermic weld. to me this is a fusion weld. 

Does any one else refer to the fusion welds called up in Plant 3D as fillet welds?

Thanks for your help and persistance.

Message 13 of 14
rflin-CTCIM

Hi,

i have tried to modify SLip-ON joint setting,

add the fusion weld and butt-weld, but, the iso still apear one weld ?

if have the butt-weld and fusion weld on P3D, how to assign the weld number to them?

could you have the assign weld number SDK program?

most of the construction work on site, they need to fix the weld number, So, we need to fix the weld number on P3D.

Message 14 of 14
rkreiss375
in reply to: rflin-CTCIM

ASME Section 9, B31.3 and B31.1 all refer to slip-on flanges as one weld.

We track every single weld we make.  Slip-on flanges are one weld, even thou there is a filet weld on the inside and one on the outside.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost