AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Content Folder

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
robmgy
603 Views, 4 Replies

Shared Content Folder

Hi All,

Just a quick request of opinions really, when modifying the shared content folder location.

For one reason or another, we cannot get Plant to operate correctly when setting projects up on a SQL database. As a result we found a work around fix, but have only used it on small projects.

We have two workstations and wanted to be able to both use the same shared content folder. By default they both located shared content on their own (C:) drives. This caused issues with specs and other shared content inside projects.
As a fix, we copied the shared content folder to a shared drive. We then modified the shared content folder path on both workstations, to point at this new location.

This seemed to work fine on a small project, im just wondering how secure people think this method will be on a larger scale project.

Im aware alot probably depends on the speed/connectivity to the network drive.

Is anyone else working this way??

Thanks in Advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dennis
in reply to: robmgy

I have setup some the way you describe.  I don't like it though, the dynamic toolpalette builds very slowly when the shared content folder is on the network vrs the local.  However, if you are not having problems with the speed of the dynamic toolpalettes, I see nothing wrong with the setup you describe.

Message 3 of 5
patpat79

We have the same set up, having 6-10 users per project, it works fine for us. And by the way, we don't use took palletes, I prohibit then to use that, instead use the spec viewer which is much safer and easy to use and update. And by the way again, before we use server drive, our sharedcontentfolder only exists in our drive c, so if there is a custom component or new nozzle created by me, I just make them copy what is necessary from my machine to theirs.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 4 of 5
eadkins73

We have ours up on our network.  It does take some time sometimes when switching between specs as was mentioned before.  It has a lot to do with the tool palletes as was mentioned.  For the guys who don't like this slow down, they will copy the shared content to their c: drive.  When a new part gets added and they can't find the symbol, I just have them temporarally repath to the server, place the component they need (this will load it into their Cache) and then they can path back.  But for my guys with faster machines, they have no problem running from the server.  We have about 25 people.

Ed Adkins
EA2 Engineering
www.ea2eng.com
Message 5 of 5
TRdesigner82

We run with the Shared Content Folder on a network drive as well. It does slow down the Dynamic Tool Pallet as mentioned. We've pretty much all abandoned it and run using the Spec Viewer. Seems to work just fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost