AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace components

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
ashley.walker
3440 Views, 9 Replies

Replace components

Hello everyone,

Is there a way in Plant3D to replace all of the same 3D object (via a command or tool) with another (In inventor it is Find and Replace Component). The reason for this is at the end of the project the client decided they now wanted to change everything from Butt Welded, to every thing Sockect Welded (Elbows, Tees, Flanges, Reducers etc.). and with a few hudred lines and a few thousand components that need to be changed......

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ashley

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi

In The Spec File Add the Socket Weld Fittings and open the Plant 3D then when you click in the fittings Like Elbow or tee, you will find the Cyan colour Arrow if you click the arrow it will appear your added socket Fittings you can click and it will be change this what I know maybe is there another way.

Regards,

Ahmed Helal

Message 3 of 10

I know that this is the way to do it one at a time..... However I was wondering if there was a way to change all of them at once as it is going to take days to go through the entire project and change them all, and there is a chance to miss a few here and there.

Ashley

Message 4 of 10

Let's wait Autodesk Support Team maybe they have another option

Regards,

Ahmed Helal

Message 5 of 10
tarrynd
in reply to: Ahmed1081975

Hi There

I would like to know if you have managed to find a way to do this? I am trying to do the exact same thing.

Has Autodesk provided any assistance?

regards.

Message 6 of 10
Mohsen.Lohrasbi
in reply to: tarrynd

Hi All,

In Autocad P&ID actually it is possible ,but I am not sure on Plant 3D,the procedure is quite straightforward:
export data to excel file through data manager modify all components as you want,import it back and accept the changes.
I will do a research on Plant 3D and get back to you with my findings.

Kind Regards
Mohsen
A2K Technologies

There is no “Find and Replace” function in Plant3D, because it is spec driven. Generally the spec would be defined well before the modelling is started and with little or no changes to the spec. So the feature that would replace everything hasn’t really been developed.
If it is a spec change, then you can select the line, and change the spec from the property manager to the new spec, it will then change all your parts to the equivalent defaults on the new spec. Because you are changing from BV ends to SW ends etc, there will be disconnections. But it will only be a matter of isolating the line and fixing each disconnection. There may also be some areas that a little bit more work will be required. But still a far easier way than re piping the entire project.

Kind Regards
Jarrod Mudford
Autodesk Expert

Message 7 of 10

You have do it again, I feel, you don't have no other option. Not even possible in any other software too, in my knowledge.
Message 8 of 10

In this case, most likely you will have to chage your spec. If you create a new spec. Then you can select the entire line and change the spec. This will change the fittings to the SW ends you need. There maybe some requirement of going and reconnecting the pipe to fittings, but it replaces the items much quicker.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Jarrod Mudford
Plant Solutions Consultant
Global Services
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 10

It is now 2021 and I still have not found a global "swap" option for Plant 3D. Having to swap out updated "parts" one by one will have me suggesting, to my employer, an alternative 3D program for piping design. I've noticed a lot of "solutions" that aren't actual solutions on these forums. Pardon me if there is now a global "change" option in Plant 3D these days.

Message 10 of 10
jw7018
in reply to: ashley.walker

Jerrod is correct.

Some things can be changed globally in Data Manger.

Make sure to save the BW model before applying spec change (for when the client changes back from SW.) 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost