AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Object Reference not set to an instance of an Object" ERROR

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Arch_art
2901 Views, 7 Replies

"Object Reference not set to an instance of an Object" ERROR

Hi all,

When I was auditing the project, I got this "Object Reference not set to an instance of an Object" error. This project currently only have P&ID drawings. The problem seems to be happened after we duplicate on of the drawing and copy it into the project. (But may not be) At some point when we open the drawing, all the text shown as "no target".

(Plant 3D 2012, under Window 7)

Question:

How to fix it?

Why this would happen?

Thanks,

Peggy Lin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Arch_art
in reply to: Arch_art

a bit more information:

Currently There are around 45 P&ID drawings on this project only. Software used is Plant 3D 2012, System is window 7, 64bit. When the problem occured, we have around 4 users on the projects.

The problems were:
1. At some point, Open one particular drawing, Plant 3D shows "Object Reference not set to an instance of Object" Error. When you close off the message window, all the items on drawings shows "no target".
2. after that point, all the drawings opened shows "no target" at all the P&ID tag items.
3. if create a new drawing, all the P&ID items' tag in new drawing can not be updated either from property palette or data manager.

I got the report from my people at around 4:30pm. When I went back to 3pm's version, everything seems to be good.
Planning to bring back the 3pm's project and work from there. I did a "Project Audit" on 3pm's project, I got "Object Reference not set to an instance of Object" Error after audit finished, but drawings were ok, meaning all/most item tags can be updated normally from property palette and data manager.

With this interesting finding and trying to not lost much job. I checked the project at around 5pm. I deleted the problem drawing. then I checked some of the rest of drawings, all seems to be fine. then I did a "Project Audit", I also got "Object Reference not set to an instance of Object" Error.

Don't understand what exactly "Object Reference not set to an instance of Object" Error means, I went back to
a (project) version 1 day ealier, and run the "Project audit", I noticed the project already had "Object Reference not set to an instance of Object" Error at that point. Since I have already make some project setting changes (added some P&ID definiations) just on Thursday (7/11/2013), I can't go back to any version eariler.

The other thing that I checked is I created a new project by coping the current project xml, and without creating any drawings, after runing a "Project Audit", I also got "Object Reference not set to an instance of Object" Error. So this means that create a new project by coping the project setting doesn't help to deal with this error.

My conculsion is good that database shouldn't have any problem so far, this error is not a database error. But since "Object Reference not set to an instance of Object" Error, my project is still in risk.

How to fix this error? and why this happen? is this actually a software error?

Best Regards,
Peggy Lin

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Nobody answers? someone from Autodesk? I'm working with the 2015 version and still have the same problem! We need a "Autodesk errors dictionary" because what it means exactly "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" ???? How to fix? where is this error?
Message 4 of 8
lopezjo
in reply to: Anonymous

Only way to figure out what is causing this is for one of us to inspect a problem DWG. You can email me and I'll see what I can figure out about the issue.

Jorge Lopez
Software Architect
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
GokhanKeskin
in reply to: lopezjo

has this been resolved ?

We are having the same issue.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Has this been resolved? I am having a similar issue. 

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
vjsv

What is the status on this? 
Do you know what caused this error message?

Message 8 of 8
johan.degreef
in reply to: vjsv

up up up 

Inventor 2024, Autocad Plant 3D 2024, Vault Professional 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost