AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Can't find symbol for specified part." message appears

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3561 Views, 6 Replies

"Can't find symbol for specified part." message appears

Hi,

Can someone tell me what is saved in the .pspc (spec sheets)... Are the .png images also saved with it, so that they can appear when inserting a component in the Model?

I'm asking this because I'm updating the spec sheets we use (which are located at the company's network), and I'm olny saving the .pspc files in the network. Then, the path to locate the .pspc files in AutoCAD Plant 3D is directed towards the folder where these .pspc files are located, but when I try to insert a custom part that I have created and put into the .pspc file, "Can't find symbol for specified part." appears. Is this because I do not have the .png images in the same folder?

Thank you in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RSFAdsk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

Component properties are saved in a piping spec, but geometry detail is not.  A good way to see what is in the spec is to export the spec to Excel.

The Can't find symbol for specified part message means geometry cannot be found.  Preview PNGs are not required.  However a preview image that does not display in the dynamic pipe spec palette is a symptom that the catalogs that the spec references are not available.  Loading the spec in the spec editor will identify missing catalogs.

If you have updated to AP3D 2013, you may need to migrate catalogs to the new Content Folder.

Richard Frank
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: RSFAdsk

Just to clarify...dimensional data for parts is stored in the spec file.  However, when you create a custom block, it is not stored in the spec.  Do you have network catalogs set up?  I think that you may have left the custom object in a catalog that is stored on your own computer where other users won't have access to it.

4-4-2012 8-21-19 AM.jpg

We have an article posted that shows how to setup network catalogs.

http://www.pdoteam.com/2012/02/setting-up-network-catalogs-for-autocad-plant-3d/

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Thank you both for your fast responses, I greatly appreciate it.

Now, I think that what Mr. Wolf is suggesting is the ideal, but I'm using AutoCAD Plant 3D Spec Editor 2011 and the Tools tab does not appear. Is there another way I can Modify Shared Content Folder with the Spec Editor 2011? Also, I cannot use the plantmodifysharedcontentfolder command because I'm also using AutoCAD Plant 3D 2011 and the command does not function.

I'm new with the Spec Editor and I do not know much of how it works, so your answers are greatly appreciated. 🙂

Message 5 of 7
RSFAdsk

Hello,

For 2011 you would manually copy the DWG and 200 folders from the location that the custom part was created in.  The folder name usually matches the catalog name.  Specifically what you are looking for is a DWG that contains a block matching the partsizeid (sample image attached).

I also wonder if this is the situaiton where in 2011 you need to manually create a folder that matches the catalog name when you first save the custom component.

--

plantmodifysharedcontentfolder - yes that command is not available in 2011.  Its original importance was to assist in migration of custom created in 2011 and later.

-- 

For paremetric compoentns only (as Dave points out) the spec does contain the actual dimension values(ContentIsoSymbolDefinition) and name of the paremetric shape (ContentGeometryTemplate).  Those values are read-only in the spec (and excluded from an excel export).  To change them you need to modify the catalog and then update the spec.  You can get into a situation where the parametric shape name cannot be located.  If that happens you willl get a "Can't find symbol for specified part." message.

Richard Frank
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: RSFAdsk

Hi,

Thank you for your response. It has helped me very much.

Now I have another question. When I open the Spec Editor, and click open spec or catalog, it directs me to the Local drive (C:AutoCAD Plant 3D 2011 Content) to open any of them from there. Is there another way to direct that path to the Company's network, so that when I want to open a spec or catalog it will open it from there? Or is that not possible with Spec Editor 2011?

Thank you in advance..

Message 7 of 7
nabsterhema

I have the same problem put for certain sizes the massage appears for sizes above 50*32 for reducer and i have no idea why?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost