AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Bolt Length in 2013

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
3001 Views, 7 Replies

Question about Bolt Length in 2013

HI

i have a question aboult bolt length in 2013

Case as below:

Catalog:Din pipe and fittings

Spec:10HS01

Size: 50\100\150

when we place flang connection component and notice that:

the actual bolt length is smaller than the default

for example:

NS              default length          actual length

50                  87                              85

100                95                              90

125                99                              95

150               112                           100

So why?

in my opinion, for those flange connection components ,the bolt length is read from the catalog dirrectly(map from the map table and get the equal or longger value)

and fro those WF components,it should caculate the length and get the catual length from the map table.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
in reply to: 19820415

Catalog:

Din pipe and fittings

It is so strange and anybody can reply why?

Message 3 of 8

Can you send me a screenshot of one of your measurement. I don't see any issues while inserting a flange from 10HS01 and measuring its length.

Looking forward to your additional information.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 4 of 8

Hi Li,

I could able to reproduce the same behavior in 2012 and on most of the spec. I am working with our developers to find the design intent behind this issue. I will keep you posted.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 5 of 8

I have sent you a private email explaining the details. Can you please check and let me know.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 6 of 8

Everybody here want to know how to fix this issue. Please, tell us too!

Serafin A. Albiero Jr.
Message 7 of 8

For bolt length calculation we check the FlangeThickness values defined at flange and bolt set.

If both are equal (or one is not set) and it’s no wafer component we use the bolt length defined inside bolt set

But if both are different we subtract the bolt set FlangeThickness from bolt set bolt length, add the flange FlangeThickness.

Now  look for the next possible bolt ‘standard’ length (if define – if not we round up to next 10)

If we look now into 10HS01 spec we see that the DN 50 flange has as defined FlangeThickness a length of 18.0 mm

Untitled.jpg

Now let us have a look now into the bolt set definition. We see that there is FlangeThickness defined with 20.00 mm and an overall length 87.0 mm

Untitled2.png

We see that the bolt set and flange FlangeThickness are different so we have to recalculate (booth used flanges are equal)

87.0 – 20.0 – 20.0 + 18.0 + 18.0 = 83.0

So we get a new calculated bolt length 83.0 mm … the next possible ‘standard’ bolt length would be 85.0

This definitions and recalculations give us the possibility for easier use of different flange sheet thickness with the same base definition PressureClass, NominalDiameter, EndType, Facing for bolt set selection – that is otherwise problematic if we connect  an orifice flange with a welded flange … the orifice flange normally has a larger flange sheet for the instrument connections but the same base definitions so we would always get the same bolt length defined in bolt set.

So we have only 1 bolt set for the base properties with 1 standard FlangeThickness we used for base length and recalculate it if necessary.

if look like for

• DN 100:   95.0 – 24.0 – 24.0 + 20.0 + 20.0 =   87.0  -> next possible bolt length would be   90.0
  • DN 125:   99.0 – 26.0 – 26.0 + 22.0 + 22.0 =   91.0 -> next possible bolt length would be    95.0
  • DN 150: 112.0 – 28.0 – 28.0 + 22.0 + 22.0 = 100.0 -> next possible bolt length would be 100.0

We hope this short overview help to understand the different bolt length values

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 8 of 8
serafin.albiero
in reply to: 19820415

Thank you very much!

Serafin A. Albiero Jr.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost