AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Creating New Component - program error

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Grampster
466 Views, 5 Replies

Problem with Creating New Component - program error

This falls into the category of "OOPS". Attached are three screen captures. I created a "PIPE SPOOL, FLANGED", size range 1"-8" Imperial. NOT Metric. When I clicked on Create, that's not what I got. All the dimensions are in Metric! I repeated it a second time (deleting the first attempt), only this time the size range ended up reversed - large to small, but it was still metric. Repeated it a third time. The range was small to large again, but the dimensions were still metric.

I looked again,and found another problem. The pipe size diameter is Dimension D - 114.3mm. That's 4-1/2", but I had 2" selected. Then I opened Advanced Editing Table and found ALL dimensions for ALL sizes were the same! The program didn't calculate anything!

Sunetic Services
Owner/Consultant
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dave.wolfe
in reply to: Grampster

When you create a new component, the default dimensions are in metric.  You have to go through and input the dimensions that you want to use.  

Selecting Imperial just lets the catalog know what type of numbers it should expect.

If you can locate a similar item in an existing catalog, it will be easier to copy the existing item than to create a new one.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 6
Grampster

Well, you're right, but that's certainly not what I'd expect from AP3D. It's not a program error - it's poor programming. It is totally unbelievable for a sophisticated program like this. It should be able to take the data from the catalog, and then use them to construct the component. Instead the user has to change every single dimension for every single size squinting at a tiny thumbnail.

You set the flange Pressure Rating, Facing, Units (Imperial), and Mating Port Sizes in the Connection Port Properties – the program should have enough intelligence to take care of the rest. All those resulting dimensions are nothing but placeholders. This is a huge needless time-consumer and DEFINITELY something that needs to be addressing in the next revision to AP3D.

Some of the more complex thumbnails can only be viewed either on a large monitor or by copying into Photoshop, enlarging, and saving or printing. There should be a button option to display a larger image in a movable window.

Sunetic Services
Owner/Consultant
Message 4 of 6
dave.wolfe

I agree the catalog editor should have a better way of entering dimensional information.  That was one of the first suggestions I made when I started using the spec editor.  Information like size od, flange od and thicknesses are standard for most scenarios and we should be able have those populated easily.  We also need the ability to input our own dimensions.

The purpose when creating a new component is to use dimensional information for a component that is not in the catalog already, so you can't pull all the dimensions from catalog data or we'd lose flexibility.

As far as thumbnails, I can help you there.  You can click the view large preview with dimensions link under General properties to pull up a separate window that you can make as large as you need.

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 5 of 6
Grampster

Guess we're in some agreement, Dave. But when it comes to standard flange data per a specific standard, and pipe OD, there should be an option that asks if you want that data from the catalog. That would still retain the flexibility.

As for the thumbnail, I never gave it a thought that expand the window would increase the size. Duh! I'm slipping a bit in my old age. LOL Thanks for that tip.

Sunetic Services
Owner/Consultant
Message 6 of 6
dave.wolfe

Yea, that'd be nice.  Right now the way the spec is structured, there isn't a good way for the developer's to do that.  They'd have to scan the entire database of spec items to find unique sizes/dimensions.

I'll make sure to pass along your comments.

Please mark my post as the answer if it answers your question. Marking answers helps other find solutions faster. Thanks!

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost