AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLANTCUSTOMPARTS

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tarrynd
541 Views, 6 Replies

PLANTCUSTOMPARTS

Hi All

I would like to find out if anybody knows how to reuse a component created using the "PLANTCUSTOMPARTS" command, without copying and pasting it. I also do not want to add this component to my spec I would just like to re use it once or twice in my current project (In different drawings).

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: tarrynd

Create a drawing that just holds your custom parts. Then when you are asked to select a block, choose select from dwg and browse to your custom parts drawing.  By saving them in an external file, you don't have to worry about cluttering up your models.

Please mark my post as the answer if it answers your question. Marking answers helps other find solutions faster. Thanks!

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 7
tarrynd

Hi Dave

Thank you very much, I did try this, but when i navigate to the drawing where the block should be there are no blocks, could this be because when I insert my custon component I use the default blocks and update only the sizes? I dont use my own AutoCAD blocks.

Hope this makes sense.

Tarryn

Message 4 of 7
dave.wolfe

It i s possible.  Try using the RENAME command to change the name of the blocks.

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 5 of 7
tarrynd

Hi Dave

I tried this, in the rename dialogue box under blocks it is empty, The custom components that I have inserted is in my model area.

When I insert it I am using the following command HOME TAB>Part Insertion>Custom Part

Then i use the Plant 3D shape option and change my values on the right hand side and insert.

Any idea's?

Message 6 of 7
dave.wolfe

Oh, yea, you can't re-use those.  You'd have to create a catalog item to use those shapes frequently.

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 7 of 7
tarrynd
in reply to: dave.wolfe

It's such a pity, being able to re use custom components inserted in this mannor would have been perfect for what we want. Thanks for you help. And thanks to you guys for your amazing blogs. It's by far the best place to get information on AutoCAD plant 3D.

Tarryn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost