AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant 3D needs lots of work....Hope you all are listening to users

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
944 Views, 9 Replies

Plant 3D needs lots of work....Hope you all are listening to users

I've been working with Plant 3D a better part of a year; only because it was sold to my employer because it was cheap. I have found the program lacking in numerous areas...pathetically lacking. Something that would have at one time taken a couple hours to draft up now takes 3x as long with Plant 3D. Plant 3D devlopers need to take a few lessons from the AutoPlant & CADWorx developers who seem to have been aware that aside from the design & database aspects of their programs at there core the programs should consider the relevance of basic "drafting" procedures according to industry standards; as in ASME drawing & drafting standards that have been around for years. I've read through this board about the issues being brought up from users and numerous are much to do with accomplishing some very basic drafting practices.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: Anonymous

Same frustration here. We don't have other option other than live with this.

Message 3 of 10
tarheels09

Have been having problems since the software was sold to us as the solution to our project needs. The biggest problem

we have is that not all piping is placed on steel platforms. So we have to take the piping out of plant and into Revit. It kind of defeats the purpose of the software.

Message 4 of 10
kudryavcevrm
in reply to: tarheels09

Hello,tarheels09! What are you talking about : "not all piping is placed on steel platforms" ? Can you explain, please?
Message 5 of 10
tarheels09
in reply to: kudryavcevrm

"not all piping is placed on steel platforms"  We are working on water and wastewater plants and most of the piping

is located within buildings. You cannot draw a building in plant3d so the building is being drawn in revit. You cannot attach a revit file to plant3d so you have to export to autocad then attach these files to plant3d, in separate pieces

because you cannot clip the building in plant3d. Then you have to attach the plant3d files back to revit because the

ortho creation in really bad in plant3d. So around and around you go.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I don't see the issues.  I was a trainer for P3D for a few years and for the last year an end user.  It works very well for what we do.  Was it just thrown at you with no training offered?

Message 7 of 10
tarheels09

No, we had training and the instructor could not bring a revit model into plant. I new a that point we were in trouble.

If someone at autodesk knows a better workflow I would like to hear about it, because I have ask and never got an answer.  I see by your screen shots your piping is placed on steel platforms, try to work with a three story building

and tell me you see no issues.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Actually, I was referring to the orignal post. Not the Revit issue. We follow the same workflow as you. But still, it is the procedure in place and we make it work.  However, the ortho creation in P3D is not bad but that is in the eye of the beholder.  It works well for me.  Revit's is better but P3D's is not useless either.  What screen shots, btw?  On my blog?  That is a test project where I try new things out.  We certainly use this application in large facilities.

Message 9 of 10
dgorsman

I'm not certain *any* piping design software works with Revit in the same, simple way as bringing in XREFs.  Our structural designers give a rough envelope the piping designers must adhere to; the pipers rough in their support requirements that the structural designers have to accomodate; the electrical designers usually end up sucking it up and squeezing in where they can.  Even with steel design software which does communicate there's a lot of give and take.

If the building is more important and/or majority of the work, I'd be sorely tempted to just do everything in one or more of the Revit flavors, with appropriate customizations and workarounds.  Regardless, before sinking money into it the first thing I'd do is give the software a serious in-house test drive to ensure it meets our needs (which aren't automatically met by the sales pitch).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 10
kudryavcevrm

@shallmark wrote:

We follow the same workflow as you.

Hello, Scott! Can you explain, please, how did you organize Revit->Plant 3D->Revit work process? Did you use export at Revit->Plant 3D step? At which format have you exported Revit model? 

Also I'm especially interested in Architecture/MEP->Plant 3D->Architecture. Does somebody worked with such chain? How?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost