AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLANT 3D: DWG to PSPX ? How to take custom DWG parts and add them to a spec?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
539 Views, 3 Replies

PLANT 3D: DWG to PSPX ? How to take custom DWG parts and add them to a spec?

I am new to plant 3d, and autodesk products. Is there a way to take a custom part DWG drawing and convert it to PSPX? I want to create a spec for custom parts that are currently in DWG format. Lets say I have " 250" DWG drawings that I want to make a spec for so I can save it to a current project and load the " valves, fittings, tubing  etc.. "  without having to open the DWG copy and paste it into the new drawing. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dave.wolfe
in reply to: Anonymous

Well, the workflow is to add a custom part to a catalog and then include it in the spec.

Also, if you are going to create block-based parts, and you are going to share them, you need to move the content to the network or have it copied to all the users  local drives. It's generally easier to move the content to the network before creating the block-based parts, but it can be done after the fact.

http://docs.autodesk.com/PLNT3D/2015/ENU/pdf/Tailoring_AutoCAD_PnID_and_Plant_3D.pdf#page=117

http://www.pdoteam.com/2011/10/custom-components-in-autocad-plant-3d/

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: dave.wolfe

What I am asking is. I have a part created in plant 3d. I want to add that part to the palette, so I can use it in any projects. I cannot load the part to spec editor because it is DWG. I have " 250 custom parts" in DWG formate, that I want to add to the palette. Is there an easier way to accomplish this than creating blocks for each part? I would like to have all the parts under 1 spec. easily drag the parts from the palette into any project.

Message 4 of 4
dave.wolfe
in reply to: Anonymous

You have two options. Add each part to a catalog and then to a spec as outlined above, or you can keep a resource project on the network. When you want to place a custom part, you can browse to that file and load a selected block into the custom part palette. Those are your options for getting custom parts into Plant.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost