AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant 3D Database Options

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3432 Views, 6 Replies

Plant 3D Database Options

Does Plant 3D have the capability to work with Microsoft Access databases?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: Anonymous

Sort of.  

The two databases Plant reads and writes two are SQLite and SQL Server.  You can install a free version of SQL Server (SQL Server Express) if you need to.

With MS Access, you can link tables to SQL Server to view/edit information.  

The other half that needs to be considered is UI.  Most people can't just edit the data in Access as they won't know what they are doing.  Plant 3D created the data manager, Excel import/export and the report creator to allow access to the information without comprosing stability.

Is there something specifically you are trying to do?

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 7
dgorsman

MS Access has much lower support requirements but it has similarly limited abilities (simultaneous operations, multipe user access, etc.), making it unsuitable for acting as a back-end to large-scale piping design software.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 7
PeterQuinn
in reply to: dgorsman

We originally supported MS Access with AutoCAD P&ID. However some years back when we started supporting 64bit there were some technical reasons why Access was a poor choice. We switched to SQLite for zero-configuration databases and to SQL Server/SQL Server Express for those who wanted more and had the IT resources to accomplish it. Both SQLite and SQL Server can be accessed by MS Access using ODBC drivers. 

For SQLite, I usually use the one found here: http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/

We strongly discourage using any of these database tools to change data in the project. Using the functionality in the application or using the programming API is the way to go.

Reading the data in the project with database tools is not a problem.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: dave.wolfe

I wasn't trying to accomplish anything in particular.

We're in the process of evaluating the Plant 3D and CADWorx products.  We've been using Bentley Autoplant (Rebis) since 2001.

The DB question came up from one of our users in the eval process.  We're very familiar with Access....not so much yet with SQL.

I pretty much knew the answer....and the reason behind it.  i was just looking for some supporting opinions.

appreciate the respone.

Message 6 of 7
dave.wolfe

Being familiar with the way CADWorx handles information, I much prefer the options given in Plant 3D.  Everything is in a database and can be dumped to Excel.  

I love the report creator vs Access. To me it's much easier.  You lose some flexibility by not being able to addin code, but I think the report creator addresses more needs than CADWorx does.  With CADWorx the user has to learn Access.  I love that you can create a predefined look for your reports and have it applied everytime.  We had considered creating a similar feature for CADWorx, but I never got to it.

I think a lot of people coming from CADWorx will not understand the data structure.  In CADWorx, you have a limited number of tables and the database is treated like it is an Excel file.

While it's a valid way to design, you lose the flexibility from a hierarchical data structure.  In CADWorx P&ID you have some many time that share fields and you have to create those fields for every different type of item.  AutoCAD P&ID create a top level item (Engineering Item) and lets you create properties that are shared among the rest of the items.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 7 of 7
bill_hashman
in reply to: dave.wolfe

I know this is an old post but for those in the future who may be wondering...  It is possible to use a ODBC connector to link tables from any MySql Plant 3D Database into MS Access and view all the stuff in the databases. 

Then you can easily blow up your whole project by attempting to write data to the fields in the tables.  I would not ever recommend to use this to write to the properties but it may be possible...  I have not tried that yet...

But it is nice to use the MS Access engine to learn and explore what is in there.  Especially if you follow or map the database relationships as shown in the "Project Database Entity Relationship Diagram" found in a zip file that can be found on this page:

https://www.autodesk.com/developer-network/platform-technologies/autocad-p-id-and-plant-3d

If your database is on SQL Server then there is no need to view it in MS Access.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost