AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant 3D Custom Parts

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
MMarzolf
2272 Views, 2 Replies

Plant 3D Custom Parts

The end goal is to have the rest of my office be able to pipe to and from the inline parts I model in Inventor in Plant 3D.  

I have discussed this issue with an outside company we use to troubleshoot our Autodesk issues and they have not been very helpful.  All they have told me is that my theory/ logic/ process/ whathaveyou sounds correct and they will look into it further.  I think the problem is where I am saving certain files and cant seem to figure out the right combinaiton of locations that will allow me to save a catalog on the server for others to access.

I start with making an inventor part and saving the .ipt on the server under a folder of custom parts. I then Export the file as a .dwg and save it under the AutoCad Plant3d Content folder on my C/: drive so it can be opened in Plant.  I open the .dwg of the custom part in Plant and save it as a block with the same title and run PLANTPARTCONVERT to designate my ports.  

This next step is where I feel like I'm messing up:

I go to the catalog builder and select new catalog.  I copy one of the stock catalogs that comes with Plant, remove all of the existing parts, and save it as the brand of valve I want to make the catalog.  I put in all of the parts, designate the port sizes and end connection types. The folder where I saved the exported .dwg, catalog,  and other files looks like this:

Capture.PNG

The last step I take is cpoying the above files to the folder on the server where I saved the inventor parts just to keep everything together.  I open the catalog that is now saved on the server and add it to the spec that everyone uses in Plant, which is updated per job.  The spec works fine for me.  I can pipe to and from the valves I make, but no one else is able to.  When they reload the spec, the name of the valve comes up in the palate, but instead of a preview of the object next to it, there is just a white box.  

Lastly, there is a folder called 200 and DWG that I find with the standard catalog files.  But I cant seem to find it when I make my own.  

Its (for me at least) a pretty complicated process.  Has anyone else encountered something like this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
batone79
in reply to: MMarzolf

Each Draftsman or Designer need to have a copy of your Autocad Plant 3D 2013 Content Folder in their same folder in C:

done!

Message 3 of 3
rchiasson
in reply to: MMarzolf

Do you have everyone's Spec Editor's pathed to the network AutoCAD Plant 3D 1013 Content folder? If you go to Tools>Modify Shared Content Folder, there is a path that needs to be directed to the server. I'm guessing that it is working on your machine because you still have the custom content locally.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost