AutoCAD Plant 3D General DIscussion

AutoCAD Plant 3D General DIscussion

A_Wigle
Message 1 of 5 (463 Views)

Piping and Xref Issue

463 Views, 4 Replies
08-16-2012 08:25 AM

Good morning everyone, we just started a large piping job and I have an issue. For some background we have modeled our tanks/pumps in a equipment source file, which are then x'refd into an equipment layout. This is then combined with other structural files and combined into a general arrangement along with a piping file. The tanks come from the vendor with flanges pre-installed so I modelled flanges onto the tanks using P3D piping system to easily add some CS150 flanges. In the equipment layout file the equipment was converted and tagged as P3D equipment.

When I try to pipe in the piping file P3D does not regconize the flange that is in the equipment source file and shows up with that water drop symbol which represents a non connection. What it appears I have to do is model a flange that mates on the equipment flange, however it will show as a leak.

Does piping have to be done within the equipment layout as it seems or can we have seperate piping files? What is the best way to do this, It would be nice to have a seperate file for each piping system as there are many users on this project.

Many thanks,

Alex

*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 2 of 5 (461 Views)

Re: Piping and Xref Issue

08-16-2012 09:25 AM in reply to: A_Wigle

I've seen several situations where the piping is actually connected through the xref, but the leak shows.  The best way to check is to run an iso.  If the line shows the equipment nozzle, it's connected.  In general I ignore "disconnects" between piping and equipment xrefs.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside

A P3D Authorized Reseller
Plant 3d Wish list: https://plant3d.uservoice.com/
A_Wigle
Message 3 of 5 (444 Views)

08-16-2012 09:56 PM in reply to: dave.wolfe
The one issue is that when theres the BOM it includes the flange drawn on the equipment even though that is vendor supplied. Looks like it isn't fully xref friendly. Thanks, Alex
*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 4 of 5 (435 Views)

08-17-2012 06:14 AM in reply to: A_Wigle

Did you use a nozzle or an actual flange?  If you use a flange, set it to existing in the properties.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside

A P3D Authorized Reseller
Plant 3d Wish list: https://plant3d.uservoice.com/
pumaad
Message 5 of 5 (161 Views)

03-19-2014 02:43 PM in reply to: A_Wigle
is there a way to verify if your pipe is actually connected, without running the iso, like lets say in properties or data manager? then it makes the water droplet symbol unreliable.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Plant 3D Category!

The AutoCAD Plant 3D forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!