AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe cutback elbow setting using “Line to Pipe”

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
PatrickByrne
6180 Views, 12 Replies

Pipe cutback elbow setting using “Line to Pipe”

I have a pipeline with an included angle of 93 degrees. Therefore I draw 2 lines with an included angle of 93 degrees and use the command Line to Pipe (PLANTCONVERTLINETOPIPE).

I would have expected when I used the Line to Pipe command it would have put in the pipe with a cutback elbow of 87 degrees. It actually puts in a 90 degree elbow, but still shows it connected and only calls up a 90 degree bend in the material list, this is not correct.

If I have a pipeline with an included angle of 95 degrees its puts in a 90 degree elbow cut back to 85 degrees, which is correct.

Is there a setting that I can change so any elbow which is not 90 or 45 degrees shows as a cutback elbow

Thanks in advance

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
neonade
in reply to: PatrickByrne

Thats strange, i dont have a problem doing this command, what pipe spec did you use in creating the piping?

Message 3 of 13
PatrickByrne
in reply to: neonade

I have attached a sample drawing of what I am getting.

When I run the line to pipe command on lines with an included angle of 93 degrees it puts in a 90 degree elbow without any cutback angle.

When I run the line to pipe command on lines with an included angle of 97 degrees it puts in a 90 degree elbow with a cutback angle of 83 degrees.

If I run the line to pipe as normal with the cutback Elbow toggle on it will work. I was trying to get the automatic line to pipe command working with cutback elbows.

Thanks for trying to solve this.

Message 4 of 13
neonade

I see, I already got your point...same here I get the same result.

quick work around is delete the elbow and pull the end grip of the pipe and connect it to the other pipe.

Message 5 of 13
PatrickByrne

Thanks for the confirmation. Unless someone comes up with a solution I will be recommending to our guys not to use the Line to Pipe command for sloping pipe.

If you have a slight fall in the pipe it is very hard to see if the elbow is cutback or not and you don't want to find out during installation.

Message 6 of 13
Dan.Scales

Hi,

This issue has been logged with our development team and is currently under investigation.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Scales
Message 7 of 13
PeterQuinn
in reply to: Dan.Scales

Not sure if this is happening here or not. I think there is a tolerance that allows 90deg elbows to be used with slightly more or less than 90 deg pipe. 

93 deg seems like it would fall outside of this tolerance,but it may not.

Sorry for the vagueness. It's been a while since I've looked at this in detail.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 13
PatrickByrne

Most of our piping falls at 2 to 3 degrees, steam piping will have a 1:100 fall. These elbows need to be cutback.

If you can tell me in detail the best way to acheive this that would be great.

Message 9 of 13
godiving
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Where can the tolerance be adjusted that Peter Quinn has mentioned?

Message 10 of 13
PatrickByrne
in reply to: godiving

PLANTSLOPETHRESHOLDANGLE

If I have a pipe sloping at 2 degrees and then goes to a vertical drop I have to set PLANTSLOPETHRESHOLDANGLE to 0, I then draw the pipe in from point to point, you cannot use the line to pipe command PLANTCONVERTLINETOPIPE as this will put in a 90 elbow and not an elbow cut back to 88 degrees. This is a bug which they are fixing up.

Message 11 of 13
PatrickByrne

Plus you can't Mitre pipe in Plant 3d

Message 12 of 13

Hi There,

I came across this post. I know it may be a little bit late. But you can edit the DefaultConnectorsConfig.xml, found in the system generated files when a project is created. The SlopeTolerance value is set to 3 by default. If you change this Valve to a lower valve (1) it will allow the 87 DEG bends (See example). I use Notepad++ for all my xml file editing, but you can also use Notepad.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tarryn

Message 13 of 13

Thanks Tarryn,

I know one solution at the time was not to use Line to Pipe but rather run the pipe by selecting Point to Point, this worked out okay. I had a lot of other issues at the time, some of these issues have been fixed up but most have not. I believe that the next release of Plant 3D 2016 has had more work done on it so I am hoping they at least have the basics working properly.

I am also hoping that it integrates better with the other Autodesk software including Revit, Advance Steel and Navisworks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost