AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance - Autodesk DO SOME THING!

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Gabriel.N
1476 Views, 22 Replies

Performance - Autodesk DO SOME THING!

Hello,

I just got a very powerful Dell workstation:

Dell PRECISION T5600

• Dual Six Core XEON E5-2620, 2.0GHz;
  • 16GB DDR3 RDIMM 1600, ECC,4x4GB;
  • nVIDIA Quadro 4000, 2GB;
  • HD 500GB,SATA,3.5",7200,NCQ,16M;
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit;
  • 825W Power Supply.

Comparing with the predecessor computer:

I had a big gain of stability.

In render I think it's about 12 times faster.

BUT:

In daily tasks as Orbit, ZOOM and PAN the model, it's a shame. I disabled the “Adaptive Degradation” to test whether I could maintain higher quality. That was disaster! Maybe 1 frame in every 3 seconds, it’s not 3fps.

You may say, don’t disable the “Adaptive Degradation”, maintain ON. Ok I’m doing it, but that does not help at all with the ZOOM and the PAN.

I decided to analyze the hardware to see how he was handling it. I just Orbit around, with those 1 frame in every 3 seconds. I noticed that almost nothing of capacity of the CPU and Video Card were being used.

Check the annex pictures.

I had 12 cores, 24 threads and only 1 of these 24 were being used.

In video card the maximum use was about 12%.

What good I have a super computer if my software does not use more than 10%.

This is absurd. I can’t find any justification for this.

Have you ever tried to move a little line arrangement to see what happens?  The CAD stuck.

Do something! And it's not fair I have to wait and pay for another release.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
Gabriel.N
in reply to: Gabriel.N

Message 22 of 23
abilioramos
in reply to: Gabriel.N

Hi Gabriel.N,

Performance is my complaining since AutoCAD Plant 3D 2010 Beta version. I have done my contribute to AutoCAD Plant 3D and I have always state the the performance is the biggest problem with AutoCAD Plant 3.

You can have the best computer and graphic card on the market that the peformance will always be the same, don't waste your money belive me I have been there.

AutoCAD Plant 3D is a AutoCAD based product and each new version the resource consumption are increasing. Also AutoCAD is not a 3D software so don't aspect to much, unless Autodesk modify the 3D engine of AutoCAD.

I have a project done on 2010 version with around 140 pipes and some complex equipments. When I open this project on 2013 version just opening Plant 3D takes 2.5Gb of memory, after 10 minutes of paning, zooming and rotating the memory consumption goes to 8.5 Gb. Shocked? is just paning, zooming and rotating nothing else.

The performance and the missing of parametric DB were the main reasons why we have decided for PDMS. And indeed the performance a the resource consumption of using PDMS is minimal you don't need a super computer to run it. You can run it on your laptop that it will work.

But Gabriel.N, if you think PDMS is grate just wait to see and try the new AVEVA E3D "Everything 3D". Many users here will be impressed AVEVA finally got it.

Message 23 of 23
danielhuamani
in reply to: abilioramos

Abilio, just as a heads-up, Plant 3D performance can be greatly increased by working with XREFs instead of trying to model the whole thing into a single drawing. There's no software on the planet that can open the whole large thing, not PDMS, not E3D, not SP3D... You'll always have to choose what you're adding.

Let me know if you need any help on best practices to define areas for a new project.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost