AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&ID Questions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jwrampe
2075 Views, 4 Replies

P&ID Questions

I hope someone can help out.  

I'm familiar with P3D (and have done a large piping project using only the 3D capability), but my company has not yet adopted the P&ID portion of the program.  We spent a good deal of time to select a P&ID/Piping package some years ago and picked SmartPlant prior to the advent of Plant3D. 

We’re currently doing a needs reassessment and are looking at using P&ID on an upcoming project if it’s a good fit.  I’ve attached a comparison sheet that was created by one of our designers, and would welcome feedback on our findings thus far. 

Here are some outstanding questions about AutoCAD P&ID:

1. Is there a drawing copy procedure?  In particular, we want to understand how mass instrument re-tagging is handled.
  2. What information can be changed in the SQL database directly (outside of data manager or xls import/export)?  The thought here is that we could use an MS Access front end for equipment specs, for example.
  3. What is the drawing limit for a SQL server based project?  We will have approximately 500 P&IDs that will all want to reside in a single project.
  4. Is global symbol replacement possible, and how is that accomplished?
  5. Is global tag format update possible, and how is that accomplished?

Please reserve comment on our SPPID implementation comments.  I'm aware that there is some unspent potential in the program, but part of the reason to evaluate AutoCAD P&ID is that I'm not certain we want to spend the time developing SPPID for limited results.  My overall impression is that the things we need a P&ID program to do are reasonably simple compared to the level of effort required to "get there" using SPPID.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ybogdanov
in reply to: jwrampe

1. Is there a drawing copy procedure?  In particular, we want to understand how mass instrument re-tagging is handled.

- Yes, you can copy P&IDs using project manager, from othe rprojects, all components which stay in this drwaing will be adding in the data base automatticaly. 

What information can be changed in the SQL database directly (outside of data manager or xls import/export)?  The thought here is that we could use an MS Access front end for equipment specs, for example.

All string properties. If you change nominal diameter it will enter in the overwrite mode because it is adquisition propertie. When you change the TAG is necessary to change it in all properties: for example type of equipment, number of equipment , and TAG (3 changes is necessary)

What is the drawing limit for a SQL server based project?  We will have approximately 500 P&IDs that will all want to reside in a single project.

The limit is of Microsoft, express version were 10Gb, and profesional release I don't remember. Revise in the web of MS.

Is global symbol replacement possible, and how is that accomplished?

Is global tag format update possible, and how is that accomplished?

The same answer, yes. If you change the block in the project setup, this change is affect all objects in the project.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
Message 3 of 5
jwrampe
in reply to: ybogdanov

Thanks for the response.  II may have missed it, but did you state how a mass tagging exercise would be performed after copying a drawing?  Obviously, this is going to depend on our tagging structure, but in general I'd like to understand whether or not my drafter will have to touch EVERY item in the new P&ID/data manager and update every tag where a "?" is shown.  This could be a deal breaker, honestly...very important that we be able to prototype P&IDs, then copy/retag with some level of efficiency.

Message 4 of 5
ybogdanov

Is not necessary to update all TAGs, because when you copy drawing of P&ID to another project all elements mantain their properties.

Only is necessary update the TAG in case of repeat TAGs. For example in project you inserted valve HV-101, and now copy new drawing in the project and in this new drawing there is the valve with the same TAG, in this case the program mark the second valve with "?". Because is easy to identify in data manger.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
Message 5 of 5
RyanBotha

Hello,

Did you receive any further feedback during your investigation? What were your findings? I am very interested to know, and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ryan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost