AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orthographic Function, rotate ortho cube to User UCS. P3d 2012

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
C_Hill
2438 Views, 10 Replies

Orthographic Function, rotate ortho cube to User UCS. P3d 2012

Hello,

At present we're only able to create ortho sections, plans etc on the World UCS using the Orthographic function, great function. But can you create ortho's on a user UCS, as it seems locked to the World UCS? The current work around that I know, is to copy the model to a new dwg and rotate the model (or just rotate current model pipeline to world UCS then rotate back) to the world UCS to create a perpendicular sections of certain pipeline runs.

My point being, not every plant will have equipment and pipeline runs perpendicular to the world UCS, that would make life to easy..

Is there current capability to rotate ortho cube to a user UCS and create ortho sections and plans etc in the current 2012 Plant 3d version? I can rotate the ortho cube, but it always defaults back to the world ucs, even if i create a user ucs in 'create ortho' model space. I know there is a section function, but this only sections 3d solids etc. Not Plant 3d objects.

Is there a better work around for this?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Cam

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Vitornis
in reply to: C_Hill

I am also trying to figure out a way to do this.  Currently the only useful functions of Plant 3D so far is the ability to model piping, the validation with the PID software (which is kinda cumbersome and anti-productive in some instances), and the generation of ISO piping drawings.    I can't find away of exporting the models you create in Plant 3D to Inventor or Revit structure for detailing and editing. Which is strange since you bundle these software together in a suite?  So far this software is at best a beta project not a professional design software.

Can anyone tell me that I am wrong on these issues?

Thanks

Message 3 of 11
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: Vitornis

I understand your frustration, any software requires time for development, 2014 they have brought some good features in ortho and vault integration. Needs to work on that. Lets hope the software will be fully matured in 2015, we also should support them.
Message 4 of 11
chrisfreeman
in reply to: Arun_Kumar_K

its nearly 2018 and im still waiting....

Message 5 of 11
jw7018

One end around is to turn off components prior to ortho generation or even rotate the facility temporary to align with the world UCS to get the desired view. 

Message 6 of 11
km4504
in reply to: jw7018

I have been able to rotate the ucs Z axis and when cutting the view make sure you select the Iso cube view you want to see in Ortho then cut Ortho using current view in the dropdown menu

Message 7 of 11
dave.wolfe
in reply to: km4504

Since 2014 there has been an option to create orthos from the current view.  You can set your ucs to an object, and then use the PLAN command > Current ucs option to change the view to match any rotation of any object.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 8 of 11
chrisfreeman
in reply to: dave.wolfe

...Im using 2017 but when its created the view it looks OK rotated to Plant North but wont give the matchline co-ordinates as per my custom UCS. it reverts back to WCS co-ordinate system. This matchline should be 100,000 not -551284.11, -593064.21.

Message 9 of 11
rbarbosa8DQGJ
in reply to: dave.wolfe

when you do that, you lose your co-ordinates values. We need to keep co-ordinates as they actual are on the field

Message 10 of 11

2021 and we are still waiting...

Message 11 of 11
rbarbosa8DQGJ

Did you try to use UCSMAN command to make your UCS as reference?

ucsman.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost