AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orthographic Drawings

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
phwatso
1137 Views, 10 Replies

Orthographic Drawings

When we use PLANTEQUIPMENTCONVERT to create equipment from AutoCAD XREFs the equipment does not display in the Orthographic drawings created.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JarrodMudford
in reply to: phwatso

Hi,

You have to make the original file part of the project. Right mouse click on the folder in the project manager and select "Copy Drawing to Project". Then xref from there.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Jarrod Mudford
Plant Solutions Consultant
Global Services
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 11

Even after you make xref from the project file, the orthographic will not be displayed.

If you XREF, orthographic will not be generated even if it is in project file.

I find its a bug of the software, tried several times.

Message 4 of 11
Dan.Scales

Hi,

If I convert AutoCAD objects using PLANTEQUIPMENTCONVERT and then the drawing is xreffed into another drawing I can create an Ortho that included the Xref equipment.

I tested this in Plant 2013, is that the version that you are using?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Scales
Message 5 of 11
Jorgen1990

Is your file XREF-ed as an overlay or as an attachment? Overlays won't show on orthos, attachments will.

Jörgen

Message 6 of 11
Dan.Scales
in reply to: Jorgen1990

Hi,

Yes, it looks like overlayed Xrefs are the issue. Attached Xrefs work fine.

I believe that this has logged with our developers already.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Scales
Message 7 of 11
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: Dan.Scales

Yes, attachment in overlay only causing problems.

Message 8 of 11
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: Arun_Kumar_K

Also, there is an issue in Orthographic. If i take the drawings from ASD, the ortho views are not proper. Already we logged this bug with development team. Hope it will be resoved in 2014 release. Because of this interfacing issue, we are not able to use the ASD and Revit.

Message 9 of 11
phwatso

We Xref (attach) a part (grundfos pump model for example) into our piping model and then use plantequipmentconvert in the piping model to add nozzle information etc.

Which order/process should we be using to ensure they display in orthographic drawings?

Sorry for the delay in responding...

Message 10 of 11
Jorgen1990
in reply to: Dan.Scales

@DanScales wrote:

Hi,

Yes, it looks like overlayed Xrefs are the issue. Attached Xrefs work fine.

I believe that this has logged with our developers already.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi

By my understanding, it is not an issue or a problem. Overlays are not supposed to show on orthos. If you want to see xref-s on orthos, insert them as attachments. The idea of overlay is that you can see the xref while working in your file and use it as a guidance, but leave it out of orthos.

Cheers,

Jörgen

Message 11 of 11
Dan.Scales

Hi,

Jörgen, you are correct. This is the Help file section relating to Ortho drawings:

Understand Drawing References (Xrefs) and Overlaid Xrefs

Project drawings that contain references to other drawings are available for orthographic drawings. Non-project xrefs are also available, but they appear as graphics only and cannot have annotations.

However, xrefs that are overlaid are not available for orthographic drawings. For more information about overlaid drawings, see “Nest and Overlay Referenced Drawings” in the AutoCAD Help system.

Thanks for updating this post.

Dan

Dan Scales

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost