AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ortho view bug?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
aaronkromm9890
3698 Views, 15 Replies

Ortho view bug?

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a problem others have had but I'm looking for a little help brainstorming a solution to my problem.  I'm working in a project in Plant 3d 2012 and I am trying to create or update ortho views in this project but it is failing everytime.  I do have some existing views and they were working fine but I can no longer update them to reflect changes made in the model.  The following is what is happening in a step by step fashion:

Updating a view

1. Click update view button
  2. Select view and hit enter
  3. Pop up window does come up and successfully completes the first step and then the progress window disappears during step two.
  4. View remains unchanged and if I try to do the procedure again it says view is up to date and requires me to save the model again before it lets me try again.

Creating a view

1. Click new view button
  2. Select models I want to include (one is a 3d cad file exported from revit structural)
  3. Adjust the boundaries as required and then start the creation process.
  4. As in updating the view plant 3d only makes it to step two and quits and it appears no view gets created.
  5.  If I close plant 3d reopen it and click on the Orthographic DWG tab of project manager it will now show the view I wanted to create but it is essentially empty and cannot place it on the drawing.

This was working a couple weeks ago and now it will not. I have tried doing a project audit and got no errors. I've tried drawing audits.  I've tried loading the project on different machines and get the same things happening.  I have tried converting the project to Plant 3d 2013 and while it will partially work sometimes it still doesn't work right (it will no obey the boundaries I set just shows whole model) I am using Plant 3D on windows 7 with the project saved on a network drive that is using Novell servers. 

I plan on trying to run this on a 32 bit windows xp machine on Monday to see if I'm running into a similar problem that we are having with regular autocad 2012 and novell server in windows 7.  If anyone else can think of something else I might try to rectify this I would be very greatful.  Unfortunately I am on a deadline for some submissions so if I can't solve this I might have to recreate stuff in 2D for the time being. 

Thank you,

Aaron

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
thebearjed
in reply to: aaronkromm9890

i am now having the exact same problem. anybody???

Message 3 of 16
aaronkromm9890
in reply to: thebearjed

My problem with this was due to the structural file that was exported from Revit. When I took the structural cad file out of the Ortho cut it would work fine.  My work around was to remove structural and just have structural create 2d section exports from their revit drawing for me to overlay my orthos onto.  If someone has other ideas I would also like to get some kind of fix for this.

Message 4 of 16
thebearjed

good to know...my fix was to just cut Orthos the old fashion way. making my own view ports, 3d clipping, and good layer control.

Message 5 of 16

I had exactly the same issue with Revit exports in my equipment layout. My workaround was to actually tag the structural xref as a piece of Plant equipment. I created a new equipment class that could easily be filtered out of any equipment reports and tagged it as Str-001. Orthos then ran exactly as they should, with all steelwork and equipment present and correct.

Message 6 of 16

Thanks Joel!

That is definitely an interesting idea. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Message 7 of 16

Just ran into the same issue.

Imported steel models from Revit and Prosteel make Ortho creator fail (Without error message or program crash).  Remove the steel model from the included model list and the creator works fine.

Anyone know if this issue has been fixed in 2014?

Message 8 of 16

Bring the models after converted into ACIS format. You won't face any issues. Need more information on this, please let me know
Message 9 of 16
ted.moberg

We have the same issue. We bring the STR export DWG in from Revit daily to Plant 3d. saving over the DWG on the Plant 3D Models folder then from the Project manager in Plant, remove the STR model from the project and Copy Drawing to Project right back in again.
Message 10 of 16

Same problem here, worked fine last week, now today whenever I try to create an orthoview nothing happens, it just hangs up. Using Plant 3D 2013 Premium, all software updates are OK.

Message 11 of 16
tgwestbrook
in reply to: gerard.payet

Was this project recently upgraded to 2014?

It was mentioned in other Ortho posts that during the upgrade process the sub folders in the 'Ortho' directory of the project get incorrectly arranged.

'DWG', Orthocube Library', and 'Styles' should all be directly below 'Orthos', as in the attached screenshot.  After upgrade they tend to all get dumped under the DWG folder.  Once you cut and paste the Orthocube and Styles folder up a level, then the ortho create should actually create something. 

THe problem mentioned earlier in this thread, however, about ortho not handing imported steel geometry is something that we are still having a problem with.

Message 12 of 16
gerard.payet
in reply to: tgwestbrook

The project is still 2013. I use both versions pending on client, but this particular one is 2013 and always has been. I'll try your proposal and revert.

Thanks for the reply

G.

Message 13 of 16
gerard.payet

OK, I tried looking in the Ortho folder and no such subfolders existed.....! Couldn't find such either, neither on my client's server nor on my own PC. I tried the same in Plant 3D 2014 and all worked fine. when I try to create a new view in 2013 it just hangs up and when I press ESC all goes back to normal and it say "the create ortho view command has been cancelled".

I suspect one thing here and that is that the window that is supposed to pop up when creating a new ortho view ends up on a ghost screen, i.e the screen that I use when working from home(connected to the SVGA). Here at my client's office I use a HDMI output. I've experienced similar issues before when for instance using Inventor on the laptop only and not using a secondary screen..., this especially when user windows pop up! I'll check at home tonight and see. i worked at home Friday and all was OK, Monday morning all this screw up started.

Message 14 of 16
gerard.payet

Problem solved:

As suspected, the program worked fine only that the dialogue box for choosing models to include when creatng a new Ortho view was popping up on a "phantom screen" which I only use in my home office. I solved it by going in the NVIDIA settings and making a quick key for forcing the popup window to the screen being used.

So the problem was a screeen/graphics card problem and not program related at all! 🙂

G.

Message 15 of 16
JohnHolder

Same issue. I try to create new orthos or edit previous orthos, it starts the process and then nothing. trying another computer now.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
Message 16 of 16
JohnHolder
in reply to: JohnHolder

Managed to isolate why it was happening to me... 3 xref drawings had to be updated to the current project.  not sure what happened but it seems to work now - after finding the three drawings.

I have a lot of duplicate equipment and piping in every project.  The weird thing is that it gave no notice other than "querying drawings" failing in the ortho creation. nothing showed up in the master drawing containing the xref files.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost