AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-orthographic Ortho views?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
joelsymonds
951 Views, 3 Replies

Non-orthographic Ortho views?

This may sound like a contradiction, but I'm trying to create a Plant Ortho view on a non-orthographic axis. My main plant building is aligned to World UCS axes and I can create the main ortho views with no problems. However, I also have a line of equipment comprising three tanks and interconnecting steelwork and piping that is at 45 degrees to the main building axis. I'm trying to create an ortho view on that 45 degree axis, but with no success so far.

The OrthoCube seems to be locked to the World USC and cannot, as far as I can figure, be rotated. I have tried setting different UCS orientations in both my source drawing and in the Orthographic View Selection drawing, but neither seems to have any effect on the OrthoCube, nor can it be rotated using the AutoCAD rotate command.

My next thought is the break out the 45 degree equipment onto a separate drawing with its own World UCS set at 45 degres to the UCS in the original drawing, but I also need this equipment to show in the main Ortho views and I don't want to create any other problems further down the line.

Has anyone any experience with this issue and found a workable solution?

Many thanks,

Joel.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

What I do is create a new 3D model in the project (like isometric view).

Than insert as a DWG reference the basic model into the new model.

Than rotate the whole xref 45 degree around the Z axis and 30 degree around the X axis.

Than open the ortho drawing and create a new ortho view from the new isometric view model, and select top or front view.

Since I rotated the xref model, the view will be isometric view. And the xref will be updated whenewher I changed the base model.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 3 of 4

Is this really still the best way to get a 45 angled model to display orthoganal? I havea 45 degree section of rack that runs between two horizontal pieces of piperack that I would like to see plan views of.

Message 4 of 4

What we do is rotate the ortho cube with the standard rotate command or rotate gizmo to the desired orientation before creating the view. You can also use solid editing commands like slice on the ortho cube if you need to exclude something from your view.

I just created a new ortho drawing and tried it. I'm not sure why the rotate command is not working for you. What version of Plant are you running? We have 2015 and 2016 and I'm pretty sure that procedure worked on 2014 as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost