AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Project based on an Existing Project

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Roxana-Elena
820 Views, 3 Replies

New Project based on an Existing Project

Hello,

I have some unclear items regarding Auto CAD Plant 3D 2011:

1. Creating a New Project based on an Existing one: after creation of my New Project by checking the "Copy settings from existing project" I realized that the folder created for the New Project contains only the folders for the supporting files/program generated files etc. The Project.xml file didn't exist. For this reason I copied the Project.xml file of the Existing Project and paste it to the New Project location .
  2. Renaming the New Project: after copy/paste the Project.xml of the Existing Project into the new location of the New Project, of course that the New Project has same name as for the Existing Project. The problem is that from the Project Setup / Project Details / General Properties / Project Name is not available for the modification.

My question is how can I rename a project. I would like to create a master project and to copy it for different projects with, of course, different names. I really don't want to set up every single new project from the beginning.

I would really need a more consistent explanation, because until whatever I could find on the discussion group was not helpful

Thank you

Roxana

Roxana
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RSFAdsk
in reply to: Roxana-Elena

Hello Roxana,

Unfortunately you cannot directly rename a project.  You can copy a project by copying the entire project folder to a new location, but as you point out the name remains the same.

You can create a new project using an existing project as a template, but that only copies settings.  You would need to add the project files manually.  So unfortunately I do not have a good answer for you.  I'll verify that this item is in the feature wish-list, and add it if its not there.

Richard Frank
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
Roxana-Elena
in reply to: RSFAdsk

Hello again,

I thank you very much for reply.

I've tried once more: create a New Project based on Existing one and guess what: it worked :-).

This time I created one Master Project in My Computer and then I create a new Project based on the Master Project (by checking "Copy settings from existing project" ) on the same location as for the Master. When I checked the folder for the New Project, everything was inside, including the Project.xml file and all the others. The name was also according to my wish (no need for manual rename) and set-up was according to the set-up of the Master Project. 

At the beginning, both projects had different location on the server and I suppose this was a problem.

Now it is just fine 🙂

Roxana

Roxana
Message 4 of 4
dave.wolfe
in reply to: Roxana-Elena

In the new Plant 3D app store, we have now published our rename project plugin ($0.99).

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/PLNT3D/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3aproject...

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost