AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jacketed Pipe

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
dustyray2010
3784 Views, 14 Replies

Jacketed Pipe

Has anyone ever written a spec for jacketed pipe?

(inner pipe and an outer pipe)

We have an upcoming project requiring it.

Is this even possible?

Dusty
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
bogdanov.y
in reply to: dustyray2010

Which problem do you have? You can create new kind of pipes and fittings that have higher fisical diameter and in the description indicate that this pipe is Jacketed Pipe. All fittings is nessessary todo with flange ports.

Message 3 of 15
dustyray2010
in reply to: bogdanov.y

Thanks,

I was hoping for a spec that would give both pipe sizes, inner and outer, along with fittings.

But, if nothing exists, I'll write one.

Dusty
Message 4 of 15
t-mcconnell

Would be interested to know how this turns out for you. 

I had looked at it in the past, but was unable to find a solution that worked.  Writing the spec to include both pipe sizes might be the best way to do it.

Message 5 of 15

the jacketing of pipes is a type of insulation, if we take this consideration, and in addition to that, the flanges and fittings are ordered according to their inner diameter, I think it would be advisable to draw the lines in inner diameter and create the jacket as a measure which is the insulation outside diameter. enables the display of insulation, you can see the diameter of the jacket. I'm doing that. greetings!

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 15
dgorsman

Every piping design program I've worked with has had problems with jacketed piping.  It poses a number of unique problems:

- both inner and outer pipe components must be counted for BOM

- the external line may be insulated and/or have shoes/guides/other supports

- both internal and external runs are coincidental

- the outer run is discontinuous; in other words, it welds to the *back* of the mating flanges

- it should "iso out" with a minimum of user intervention

I've seen a number of different ways of handling this.  Some model the internal pipe only and use insulation to simulate the jacket.  Some model the jacket and have it count the core piping virtually (good for lots of pre-fab connections).  Or the jacket and core can be run in separate models with associated (but not idential) line numbers.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 15

we had to do it. create some pipes that indicate the inner diameter, but are plotted with the outside diameter and use the inside diameter flanges. in the list of materials shows the inner and outer diameter and the insulation is added on the widest diameter. was difficult but we did it!

Message 8 of 15

Can any one help me to model Jacketing piping for ASME 3A std. ? 

Message 9 of 15
PetrolChem
in reply to: barrera.batel

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out jacketed piping for a project. After reading your post, I don't understand how you accomplished dropping ISOs. If you don't mind, could you elaborate?

Message 10 of 15

The long description of the Iso would have the wording of both of the pipes. You essentially draw the smaller inner pipe, with the OD of the outer pipe, and the long description would be something like "DN25 inner pipe c/w DN80 outer pipe" or something to that effect. I did this years ago with Double Containment pipe for a water project.

Message 11 of 15

Thank you for your reply.

Did you adjust the ISO to come out showing Jacketed Pipe or manually have to add jacket to ISO?

Message 12 of 15

I can't remember exactly, but I think I'd personally do an offset dashed line as the symbol

Message 13 of 15

What I think i'm going to do is have it drop with the double insulated lines on the iso. That will save some work from doing a lot of offsets.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 15
milan_blom

This is how we approached it in Autoplant back in the day, but it should work in P3D also:

• Create special flanges (with 3 ports, flanged, port for the inner pipe, port for the outer pipe)
  • Draw the inner pipe in one line number
  • Draw the outer pipe in another line number, connecting to the back of the flanges of the inner pipe
  • Generate isometrics for inner and outer pipe seperately.

This way you can also add the connections to the outer pipe in the normale way and add extra welds for the spilt part of the outer pipe. Also, the iso's have references to each other out of the box.

Message 15 of 15
jaykishor
in reply to: dgorsman

EYECAD has no problem with jacketed piping. EYECAD has very simple function to handle jacketed piping. Why plant3D cannot handle this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost