AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with custom fittings and catalogs

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Bryanf88
678 Views, 5 Replies

Issues with custom fittings and catalogs

Hello, 

I am attempting to creat a custom fittings catalog for rubber/plastic lined pipe and I'm running into some issues. Let me explain my work flow (note: all of this is done on my C drive, no network stuff here), I model the fitting and save it as a 3d block, creat a new plant project, creat a new drawing file within the project, insert 3d block/save and run plant part convert/pick ports/save, relocate the converted block and all associated files ( it makes three dwg, XML and PNG file) to a combined fitting blocks folder on my desktop to keep them organized, go into spec editor and creat a new empty catalog, creat a new empty folder in the same folder as the catalog with the same name, creat components pick block from folder on desktop and everything goes fine.

Once I get everything into the catalog and into a spec and saved in my project I am unable to insert them into my piping model. The thumbnail in the fittings tool palette is just a white square however I see all of the information, ie long descriptions, for the fittings I just get a "can't find symbol for specified part" Message when I attempt to bring anything into the model. I was done some research and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly, so why isn't it working? Am I missing something?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
patpat79
in reply to: Bryanf88

Here's how I do things, first create my custom catalog ("either by catalog builder, copy the existing") then model custom components. 3d cad, convert to block, add ports. That's it. Then I create a new component to the catalog, use the model I have done then, eureka. It's done.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 3 of 6
patpat79

For your information, catalog items does not depends on the project you are working, it depends on the "contentshaeedfolder" of your plant 3d and your spec editor.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 4 of 6
patpat79

"Contentsharedfolder" I mean

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 5 of 6
Bryanf88

I believe I found the issue. I was making my parts for different sized pipe in separate drawings, not in the same drawing. Thanks for the responses though!

Message 6 of 6
patpat79

Hmm, I think if custom component is concerned, it doesn't matter what drawing you use, for me I use a dedicated test.dwg in the project where I put custom blocks and where I also test components and setup output. For what I know, it doesn't matter what drawing, it's just that, component must be converted and had port addition, and of the same contentfolder.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost